snakes.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NarutoTn, Jan 19, 2010.

1. NarutoTn

NarutoTn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Dyersburg
    has anybody had a problem with a 5ft long copper head?

2. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    No such thing as a 5' ft long Copperhead... you probably got it mixed up with something else.

Even if it was a copperhead, ask someone to remove it for you. They are soooooooo beautiful!
    More people kill venomous snakes (let alone reptiles) than they kill chickens or people [​IMG]

I'm guessing you have another kind of snake like a bullsnake... or you're thinking it's a lot bigger than it is (some people have a fear of snakes)

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

A big snake like that will eat a lot of rodents. If it's not anywhere where it will likely encounter people, you should leave it be. If it's in a area that's commonly used, you should have it removed. We used to kill rattlesnakes, but stopped over 20 years ago. Now I just catch them and take them out of our yard. No problem. Snakes are simple and helpful creatures for the most part, and are essential part of the ecosystem for rodent control.

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    In Louisiana, especially the southern part, copperheads do get 5ft long. And one killed my dog last summer. My property borders my towns main drainage canal and that is one area of our yard we have to be very careful around. Not to disrespect the function of a snake or any other kind of creature, but I view them as dangerous. When my husband was was making my coop last year, a cotton mouth (different type) slithered under the lawn chair my daughter was sitting on. The snake had a very bad accident.......it didn't survive. Sorry, but I'm going to kill everyone that comes in front of me.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    If it wasn't venimous I would say feed it to the chickens.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I personally would like to see a 5 foot copperhead. Here in Arkansas, a 3 footer is a MONSTER! & believe me, there are ALOT of copperheads!

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
  8. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:Well five feet is a rarity it appears then; I suppose there are people out there who've seen them, but I'm sure most of them were incorrect in their sightings or saw something else.

But then again, I've heard people call for snake removals that are 5+ feet long! Only to go there and find a 24"-48" baby cornsnake or something of the like. I'm sure it wasn't 5 feet long as MOST copperheads do not get that big and especially ones that live around human. They would mostly be dead due to human ignorance (in fear).

But you're right, if it gets cold where you live, they do like to sleep underneath canals and whatnot - I'd avoid those places, especially during the first couple weeks of spring and during winter when they are seeking out a place to hibernate (I do not know how cold it gets there).

The thing to keep in mind is that snakes will more than likely NOT bite you - they need to conserve their precious venom. You probably scare the crap out of it more than it scares you [​IMG] and they can't kill you - at least those kinds (rare instances like immuno-deficiency, youth, etc. etc. etc.). Just keep that in mind. More likely than not a venomous snake like that will try to avoid you - best way to avoid them is take away anyplace they want to hide in (brushes and wood piles or junk piles) and/or make them know you're coming their way and let them get out of your way. I'm sure that was what that snake was trying to do [​IMG]

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you ever came to my place to see a 5' snake, you'd be looking at two pieces.

10. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive had three foot copperheads and 6 foot ratsnakes. 5 foot moccassins too. They are all rotting on the burn pile. Snakes dont go in my duck pen with out punishment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by