snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickbird, Jun 22, 2010.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    i had a mother hen that hatched out 7 chicks, went down to coop and one chick missing began looking and found a chicken sanke had just swollered my chick...i did not hesitate killing it and using it for fertilizer in the garden.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont blame you for killing the snake. I've even had a chicken snake come in my garage and gobble 4 of 6 chicks I had in a cage, it was too fat to escape. It was the snakes last meal. When there's no rodents around, chickens are next on the menu.

3. bluegoose

bluegoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Snakes Have Costed Me A Small Fortune,I Live In Ky And My Farm Joins A 75.000 Acre Game Reserve I Have Everything From Garden Snakes To Timber Rattlers. Thay Get In My Pheasant Run And Eat What Thay Can And Cant Get Back Out From Being So Stuffed.Thats When I Smile And Say Now Its My Turn. [​IMG]

4. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Yet the thought of preventing them coming in in the first place doesnt come up? Simple hardware cloth that they cant get through is all you need.

I guess it comes from keeping both predator and prey the responsibilities needed to keep one safe from the other. Killing what you find is no answer if you want to stop it from happening. Treating a symtom isnt going to cure the illness. It has been posted here some very good ways at keeping snakes out where they belong without needless killing.

5. bluegoose

Mar 25, 2010
    The Money That I Have Spent On Hardware Cloth Would Buy Me A Nice Farm Truck. Not Only Have I Lost Pheasant I Have Lost CATTLE And Horses Due To Rattle Snakes And Copperhead Bites.This Is A Big Problem In The Area Where I Live. You Have To Watch Every Step You Take After Dark I'm Talking { Porch } { Yard} { Driveway }. So When It Comes To The Safety Of My Livestock And Family The Rattle Snake And Copperhead Problem Will Be Dealt With.

6. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Of course you need to do what you have to to keep everyone safe, was just saying all to often I run into people who instead of trying to prevent them just kill whatever they come across no matter what or where it is, even ones of no harm to anything. If someone can spend all day hunting for and killing them then why not work on ways to just prevent them? They are apart of life and unlike most pests they do play a very vital role in ecosystems. Of course some people feel they have no other choice, but that isnt always the case.

Because of the bad cloud hanging over them many people end up exaggerating to others and to themselves about them and often overreact to ones that are harmless or any threat to anything else, just takes a little understanding to see that they are the horrible evil things that need to be killed that they are often made out to be. I try to promote living with nature instead of battling against it as much as possible.

Just trying to help steer people towards learning about them to try and stop a lot of unneeded killing.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  7. bluegoose

Mar 25, 2010
    I Agree There Are A Couple Huge Black Snakes Living In My Barn That Take Some Eggs Now And Then I Find It A Good Trade For Rat And Mice Control. As For Getting Along With Nature I Have Some Elk And Black Bear Living On My Farm The Elk Eat With My Cattle And Horses And Tear Up My Corn Fields That's Fine With Me Its Worth The Loss Just To Be Able To See Wild Elk.I Will Not Harm Anything Unless It Gets Mean.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with bluegoose. Snakes are the only predator that can penetrate my large pens, but they cant get into my two chicken houses. To purchase that much hardware cloth is cost prohibitive. Additionally my funds are limited. I promote living with nature, as long as nature doesnt eat my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by