1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chick15, May 15, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    In our yard we have this one small section of wild. there is brambles and all kinds of stuff and I think the chickens would have a blast foraging in there. But we have one concern. We have a little snake that lives there... It is a garter snake, so is not poisonous, but I was wondering if it would threaten our hens. They are currently around 4-5 weeks old, so will not be free ranging yett but I am not sure weather to be worried or not. [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    At 4-5 weeks, your pullets are probably more of a threat to the poor little garter snake!

Shouldn't be a problem at all, other than a scared snake.

3. norristhechickenman

norristhechickenman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    tell your garter snake to hide... lol [​IMG]

4. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Yeah, the snake will be the prey here. Garter snakes usually eat cold blooded prey , bugs, amphibians, etc. Chickens on the other hand will eat anything,lol!

5. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thas good, I was just worried that they might be harmedd, I love my chicks and would die if they died!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by