1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SNAKES!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GUIENALADY, May 26, 2008.

1. GUIENALADY

GUIENALADY Rest in Peace 1956-2010

May 1, 2007
    Belvidere nc
    [​IMG] i went out to feed today and had a lovely surprise waiting for me in one of the pens......3 SNAKES! [​IMG] fortunatly they only got a few duck eggs..one was in the nest box and 2 behind it. unfortnuatly only killed two and wounded the other..it got away. [​IMG] That was more excitment than i cared for today. :| dh said they were king snakes ...they should have stayed in the back where all the rats are.

2. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    The same thing happened to my husband.He was sitting on the back steps,and heard the most awful noise.He looked and there was a snake wrapped all around our oldest Buff duck,it was squezzing her to death.He ran as fast as possible,and put his boot on its head and got its tail under the other foot,and slung it as far as he could and ran and got a ax.I can not believe he done that.He called me and said you will never believe what just happened....What can we do to keep them away from our ducks and chickens.I am scared that they will be around all the time now.[​IMG] Sandra,info would help!!!!

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    get some guineas snake issue will go away

4. shaky

shaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Austin
    As always, I will insist that it's better to have snakes around to control the rodents. I haven't seen any definitive proof that anything can control snakes or keep them out completely. However, the thin gardening mesh to let vines grow up - its usually black and very fine - will entangle snake in it. I consider it cruel and torturous, but I've seen it work on snakes large enough to eat eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by