1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenlvr4, Aug 17, 2013.

1. chickenlvr4

chickenlvr4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Savannah Ga
    So I always thought chickens kill n eat snakes. I have 5 hens (all pets) and for wks now my eggs went from 5 a day to 2-3 a day. I found a 5ft snake that looked like a common garter n was able to shoo it away w a rather large egg in its mouth. It came back so we had to dispatch it but my hens just looked at it. I figured they would tear it up but didn't want to go near it ( it was dead but twitching). Is this normal ? Or do I have scardy cat hens?

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    First, chickens kill and eat small snakes such as worm snakes & brown decay snakes. Second, Garter snakes do not eat eggs so it must be some other kind of snakes. You killed a snake for simply eating an egg? Why not catch and relocate?

3. chickenlvr4

Aug 17, 2013
    Savannah Ga
    I did relocate it twice I don't dislike snakes, actually they are a very needed species n important to the ecosystem overall. The research I did said that garter snakes will eat eggs if other prey cannot be found. I just asked a simple question and certainly didn't expect anyone too assume that I'm a snake killer. Thank you for the implication tho.

4. chickenlvr4

Aug 17, 2013
    Savannah Ga
    I've also reinforced my coop several times so it must have come in the open coop door as I leave it open to the outside run

5. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    depends on the snake, king snakes are good cause they eat the others, rat snakes are okay if u have too many rats that can make you sick. I prefer barn cats over rat snakes though. Make sure those of you in florida KILL any constrictionor python boa anaconda ASAP do not let those live. They are ruining florida.

the giant 8 foot indigo snakes are better than king even because they do not kill adult chickens they will take a chick but they are more of the chase down type snake they cannot constrict. THey wil lkill any and every snake they see and they eat more than other snakes. You want vido of them? here you go I knew u guys would like it.

the black one is a rare indigo they cannot unhinge their jaws to make them HUGE like other snakes so they need to eat LONG snakes or small animals. They are the biggest snakes in north america. This is what you want around the farm. It is eating a rat snake. See the rat snake is constricting the indigo. BUT the indigo is not constricting the rat snake? Because it can't constrict. It uses pure power.

Best to remember the good and bad species. Indigo snakes will not bite you or your kids even if you pick them up. So if you know it is a giant indigo for sure you cant tell your kids its safe to give a big hug and kissie.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  6. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
  7. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    racers will bite so will coach whips but they are harmless i mean they cant hurt you or adult birds. They might kill new borns tho. Rat and kings can kill an adult bird by strangling it. They are constrictors.

still tho they are not strong compared to you, just grab their head and take them away. They cant hurt a person. An adult python buremese can kill us all put together probably lol

king snake eating chicken snake

rattle snake

copperhead

cotton mouth aka water viper

black racer eating copper head

indigo eating rattle snake

big birds can be assets

8. animals1981

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    sorry back to the OP yes ur chickens willl kill a garter snake i Mean they should a garter snake has no defense and is small and weak. THey should be able to kill and eat it, even bull frogs eat themlol

Did it eat a bantam egg? if it ate a standard egg no way it was a garter snake, Maybe a giant garter? never heard of them taking big eggs. They dont even eat mice. A mouse will kill a garter snake lol Biggest snake i saw a rooster kill was an adult garter.

9. chickenlvr4

Aug 17, 2013
    Savannah Ga
    I'm not to sure what kind it was but I saw it several times and looked it up. The closest thing I saw when comparing color was a "common garter" but it did eat several ex large eggs. I actually prefere to have them around just for a natural pest control. I took several pics and videos of it but I don't know how to upload them from my cell. I measured it a d it was 5 ft 1 in long. He or she had a small head w long chunky body. It had dull brownish diamonds on its back w a greenish strip running down the body. Maybe you can Identify it w this description?? Ty for all the helpful advice

10. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    The size and the dull brownish color with diamonds sounds like a gray rat snake (aka chicken snake). The green stripe, I don't know. I don't believe garter snakes have diamonds but they do have green and even blue stripes.

Garter Snakes are actually venomous. However their fangs are very small and located at the back of their mouth. They grab a toad and chew on it in order to inject the venom. They are nothing to play with. There is probably a slim chance of being bit with the fangs, but still a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by