Snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by terrytrailertrash, Oct 21, 2008.

1. terrytrailertrash

terrytrailertrash New Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    South Cackallacky
    Anybody got good advice on dealing with black snakes? We have a big problem with them stealing eggs.

2. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    put some wood eggs in there, in a few days they wished they never ate those eggs. [​IMG]

Really, I would think the hens would take care of them. My chickens always seemed like they were half mongoose. Check the eggs more often, creating more traffic, this might scare them off. They should be leaving soon due to winter anyway. Or you can kill them, but they are good for rat and mouse control.

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I do, what you need to know? Stealing eggs? A snake will stay in the area as long as it has a food sourse which sounds like it does. I don't know what area you are in but in the south the snakes have been bulking up on there eating to prepare themselves for hybernation. If this happens you will not have the problem again until the weather breaks. You will have to rehome the snakes to keep them out of your eggs. Do you know what kind
    it is? Do you have pics?

edited to say: rehome in a responsible area

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. terrytrailertrash

terrytrailertrash New Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    South Cackallacky
    They are black racers (I'm pretty sure). They are definitely stealing eggs. We are in SC. We have killed 3 in the coop over the summer. I don't think they are active now, but would like tips for warmer weather when they come back.

5. Shelanie

Shelanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Southern California
    Hahahaha terrytrailertrash! Your name is sooo funny...

6. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I PM'd you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by