1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snaplock chicken coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SteveandJayneO, Jan 5, 2012.

1. SteveandJayneO

SteveandJayneO Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Harpers Ferry Wv
    In the new Hobby farms mag. I saw an ad for snaplock chicken coops, made out of plastic much like little tykes stuff. I was wondering if anyone has used or heard of using them? Website at this time is under "construction" and just one youtube video on it. I find it hard to believe that the website is down with an ad in a national magazine.

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Heres a pic.

[​IMG]

Seems to me,living in South carolina,these racoons would have no problem nawing thru that plastic.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

If people are using old kids playhouses made out of the same material, I don't see why this wouldn't work. It's cute, but how safe would it be? I don't think raccoons would chew through that easily. Wood would be easier, would it not?

You would need to have the top locked down at night. I'm sure the raccoon could figure out how to get in that way.

I'm sure they are very expensive..

4. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    What is the price tag on that? I am sure you could build a better one and a lot cheaper too.

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:I dont know.Their website is closed due to maintenance and under construction.

Im feeling the building bug going on.Thinking I can make one out of recycled pallets.Hmmm.....*rubbing hand on mustache and beard.

6. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    There's a phone number on the ad, did you try calling them?

7. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    From their Facebook page sounds like their going to be charging 450.00. Looking at the pictures they have on FB it looks pretty small. I don't think I'd be comfortable housing more than a couple birds in it.

I could build a pretty decent 4x8 coop for about the same amount of money, but I guess for those who can't build it might be a good place to start.

8. Tractor Tom

Tractor Tom New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    I think polyethylene is the perfect material to make a coop out of. It's completely unaffected by water, it never rots, it's unaffected by chemicals, and you never have to paint it. I'm sure a larger predator would be able to eventually chew through given enough time, but my 20 lb. dachsund has chewed her way through plywood before.

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A lot of people, like me, have rubbermaid coops. Same kind of thing. Works well, and nothing has ever tried chewing through it. But for $450 I'd do the rubbermaid shed instead.

Imp

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Perhaps this is like the American version of the eglu's that are both small and very $$$?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by