Snapping Turtle Attack on my duck - with pics.

duckyducky

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 28, 2011
I've had these ducks for almost a few years now and they've been doing great in my lake. I also have snapping turtles and snakes in the lake but they've never attacked any of my ducks, ever until last week. One evening I looked in saw one my ducks limping and when I picked him up I found a hole under his right thigh. It was big enough for me to stick my finger in it all the way to my knuckles. Anyway, I washed it with mild soap water, gave it antibiotics and kept him separated in the dry area. He seems to be doing great. As far as the snapping turtle, sadly I HAD to get rid of it. Anyhow, the duck is doing great. It still limps just a little bit but my other drake isn't attacking him anymore like he did the first few days. They duked it out in the pen yesterday and seemed to have established the hierarchy.

93760_duck_pics_052.jpg

93760_duck_pics_053.jpg

Awww the poor thing. I got the stuff from TSC that is called EMT Gel First Aid Kit in a Tube it works great, really sticky, like honey and it is for use on all animals including Birds & Reptiles. I don't blame you for getting rid of the snapping turtles, I couldn't put up with that either. Good luck, I hope he gets well quickly.
fl.gif

I've only tried to keep ducks once. We had 8- and lost every single one to snapping turtles in our pond
hit.gif
we tried our very best to eliminate all of them. This year I put 6 geese up there- still have all 6 and they still have all their legs. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom