1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snappy Lines from Great Literature

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by welsummerchicks, Jan 3, 2011.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Got any snappy lines from great literature?

Ok, I realize this one will probably fall flat on its rear, but we are reading 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoevski, and, yes, I realize most people don't consider it a terribly funny book, but at one point, a magazine editor hears the murderer making a stink out in the receptionist's room and he comes out and says,

'What's all the rumpus? Is someone giving birth to an idea?'

YES it's ok if you heard it in a movie or saw it in a comic book! But it must be 'great literature', the classics, ya know.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't have any specific quotes, but I really like a lot of the lines from the Sherlock Holmes series. Some of those lines are terribly hilarious and witty.

I'm not sure how many consider Douglas Adams' works to be great literature, but I certainly do! Almost anything from any of his books can make me laugh out loud. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a brilliant book, with so many wonderful quotes!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I used to insult people who made me mad with Shakespeare. [​IMG]

I have forgotten them all now, though.

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    LOL! I'm a Shakespeare and a Sherlock fan. Both from reading and from drooling over arrogant and perfect Jeremy Brett, there will never be another Sherlock for me than Jeremy Brett.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I read a lot, but mostly authors that fall somewhere between Barbara Delinsky and Solzhenitsyn... Therefore, I do not have great quotes, nor vapid ones.

Good thread.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, here's mine;

"All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't know the exact lines, but I was quite shocked on a re-read of Kerouac's On The Road. At one point the main characters are driving in a car with sweaters wrapped around thier heads and the one guys screams out the window "We're arabs going to blow up New York!" [​IMG] Keep in mind this book was written decades ago and the situation was meant to be funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by