Sneak Attack

BriannaJean2

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2020
One of our hens went missing yesterday while free ranging in our yard. We found a trail of feathers leading into the woods, so we are assuming it was taken away by a predator :(. This is very sad, but not very surprising as we live in a heavily wooded area. Now we have our hens locked in their run, with a game camera set up in hopes we can spot what took our missing hen. Even if we do figure out what the predator is though, we do not own guns so we really have no way of getting rid of it. Are there any effective methods for deterring predators from coming back for more hens after catching one? I hate the idea of having to keep our hens locked up for an extended period of time.

You can buy predator pee, and deterrent lights on amazon, but I don't know how much that will help to scare one away, after its already made a kill. It is more for deterrent, and keeping them away before they come. Maybe motion sprinklers, but that might kinda be the same thing, and it depends on the predator. An electric fence around the property will do it though, depends on the property size.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to keep them inside for a week or two. (I hate it too.) If the same predator comes back and no food is available they might move on. But depending on what the predator is, they might be satisfied for a while anyway. I was feeding a Goshawk last winter, and he seemed to only want one chicken every 5-6 weeks. Bobcats on the other hand, will take one chicken a day as long as you let them. My best predator solutions (short of locking them up) are an outside dog, and a radio on in the coop at night.

Where are you located? If you can identify the predator then maybe some of your neighbors that are hunters can help you out.
New Hampshire, so we’re thinking maybe a coyote, fox, bobcat, or raccoon. It was during the day, but unfortunately we didn’t see it happen.

We live in a wooded area, too. My flock is penned most of the time. I can't stand it, so we are looking to install fencing around a pasture just for them. I have the same predators. I've been researching by calling local farms and ranches. Here's what I've learned will help (though nothing is 100%):
  • A guardian animal (dog, donkey or llama)
  • 6 ft fencing with 2 strands of hot wire
  • A dig guard (apron or buried fencing)
  • A roofed run or bird netting
So, because I'm extra, I'm planning to do all of the above!
:oops:

I currently have electric netting around a forage area, not since I haven't installed netting over it, I only let them out when I'm there supervising. Like, not while im doing yard work. I just sit there and watch them. Like a guard human. And I'm glad I do as I've scared off hawks multiple times now.

I have similar predators as you. I actually have a coyote pack that lives in the woods just past the small corn field that surrounds my house. The coyotes stay off my property... at least during the day because of my dogs.
I also have a rooster that helps the flock look out for predators.

I have similar predators as you. I actually have a coyote pack that lives in the woods just past the small corn field that surrounds my house. The coyotes stay off my property... at least during the day because of my dogs.
I also have a rooster that helps the flock look out for predators.
We originally had a rooster as well, but had to give it away earlier this year as it was getting to be too aggressive with my 2 year old daughter. Its so sad to think that my hen might still be here if we had kept the rooster around!

Back
Top Bottom