1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneaking around sniffing eggs. New one for me!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wegotchickens, Aug 18, 2008.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I set some eggs on 8/7, some of which were known to be older.
    I set another clutch 8/9.
    And then another clutch 8/15, which had been lost in the mail for 10 days [​IMG]

I noticed when I added the eggs on the 15th that the bator was getting a funky smell. Family members thought I was imagining things.

But the smell was worse on the 16th. So I candled the 8/7 eggs and tossed clears & blood rings.

Well, that didn't fix it! The smell was bad enough last night that I snuck downstairs after everyone was asleep and sniffed each and every egg. And boy oh boy did the bad one really stand out!! [​IMG] And of course, it was in the last section I checked.

My family thinks I'm insane over my chicken addiction anyway. I know I saved myself some teasing by avoiding witnesses. I knew you'd all understand, though [​IMG]

But I'm sooooo happy that I saved myself from an exploding egg!!! [​IMG]

And I'm very grateful that I followed the advice of the sage BYC folks who recommend sniffing out and eliminating the bad eggs!!! [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Hey, don't be afraid to sniff those eggies out...That's way better than family seeing you coated in a funky exploding egg! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I just never expected to be sniffing eggs. Nothing like this happened in my first 3 hatches.

Glad DH didn't 'catch wind' of what I was doing. He'd have thrown away 1/2 the eggs claiming they were funky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by