sneaking chicks under a broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bandit, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Bandit

Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    My poor chicken has been broody for a long time. She is still devoted to her plastic egg but it will never hatch. If I sneaked a couple of new chicks under her in the night would she think they were hers and be their mom? Or would she try to kill them. She is a BO.

2. Bandit

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    I was thinking I could get a couple of Polish pullets and tell my DH that she NEEDS the chicks to quit being broody!

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I have done this many times and never had any problems. They all took right to them but ever chicken is different so you jsut never no.

4. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    If you sneak some chicks, do it at night. When I was younger my dad did it. He always says that it is best to do it at night because the chicks with then have her sent.

5. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I had a BO hen go broody (for the 1st time) just after I put 6 eggs in the incubator (also for the 1st time). I just snuck 2 chicks under her last night, and it's going well except that she is still sitting! She is fine with the new chicks, but wants more, so I'm putting the other 3 that hatched under her tonight. If that's not enough, I don't know what I'll do! I also asked for advice first, and I know some people have had their chicks killed by a broody. I took the chance and it's working out. Maybe it would be less risky for you to just get a few hatching eggs and let her hatch them? Good luck and let us know what you decide!

6. Bandit

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by