sneaking eggs under a broody?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BantyHugger, May 2, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I have a broody hen (d'uccle) who just started. She seems to be hoarding the standard sized eggs (unfertilized by our roo) so i was thinking of slipping some different, fertile eggs under her. Do i need to do anything special like sneaking in at night? Or will she not care if i do the switch in broad daylight?

2. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    It usually is up to the hen as in how broody she actually is and so on but i do most of mine with a flashlight but its because i work during daylight hours

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    With mine (silkies) I just lay the new eggs in front of them and they quickly shove them up underneath themselves. So far as taking out the hoarded ones, I just pick them hen up and take the eggs out that shouldn't be there. The hens grumble and fuss, but if I distract them with new eggs they settle back down. I do it in broad daylight.

Good luck!

4. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I did that just this week, I think she may have to many under her now, but she is covering them all. I guess we shall see.

5. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Ug, i just went to see exactly what she has under her. She has 11 standard eggs! This is a 1 1/2 lb bird for cryin out loud! Is it even possible for her to hatch this many eggs? How many banty eggs could she hatch?

6. vickie2133

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    my hen has 19 eggs under her.

7. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:[​IMG] How big is she?

8. vickie2133

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    she is a large hen, and she had seven eggs under her. I started adding some more, and she covered them all. I didnt' think she could. I will check them and see how they are forming later.

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I do my switching at night, just to insure success. I smoothly scoop out the old eggs and place the new ones right by her breast. It's fun to watch the hen bend her neck and scoop the new eggs one by one deep beneath her, then do a chickie cha-cha to get them all settled in just right.

There are some broodies who are so dedicated you could strap them to a rocket & shoot them to the moon in broad daylight and when they landed in a crater they'd scoot over to the nearest moon rocks and begin to incubate them. But others are much more easily disrupted, so I prefer to do my stealthy work at night.

I have bantams that want to incubate their tiny eggs but I give them standard-sized eggs instead because I prefer the bigger chickens. I just give them 4-6 eggs, though I'm sure they could incubate more. The last bantam I switched had a surprise in store for me. I thought I took away all the bantam eggs & gave her 4 standards. But when her clutch hatched, there was 1 unexpected banty baby along with 4 larger siblings.

10. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:Ok thanks i think i'm going to try giving her 6 eggs and see how she does with them. She has never set before. I can't wait! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by