Sneaking in 6 day old incubated chicks with hen and her day old hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by donnaboydjones, Feb 13, 2013.

1. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

I incubated and hatched 7 chicks last Thursday and one of my hens hatched 2 yesterday and 4 today.
    Can I take the incubated chicks and put them with the hen and her chicks? Has anyone done this? Was there good results? Will the mama except them?

2. davony's chicks

davony's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    Good question. I have never tried this so I can't help but I want to hear what others have to say.

3. Aquaman05

Aquaman05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I tried it and it didn't go so good. Mom picked on the others pretty bad.
    ill share the info that was shared with me though and that is to wait until it is dark and sneak them under her. Has to be dark with no light on.

4. donnaboydjones

Thank you! So even putting them with her at night, she still pecked at them? How long before you took the chicks away from her? Right now I have 6 , six week chicks, 1 week old incubated chicks and now 6 hen hatched with TWO MORE HENS gone broody. I incubated the eggs BEFORE I realized about the last 2 broody hens. I've got chicks coming out my butt.=)

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Just please keep a close eye on them. I attempted sneaking three newly hatched chicks under a broody who was in the middle of a hatch, snuck them under her at night, checked first thing in the morning and she had scalped three of them. They all died, it was really awful.

6. donnaboydjones

I took the three incubated chicks and put them one at a time with the Welsummer mama and her three new chicks. I watched for at least hour and she completely accepted them.
    I didn't want to do it night and hope for the best , so I did it during the day so in case it didn't work well I could intervene. When she got up they all came out from her wings and at first the incubated ones didn't know what to do when she would get a piece of food for the chicks and cluck. Finally about the 5th time doing that they finally caught on. It was sweet to watch them under neath her trying to keep warm.
    I'll continue checking on them, but so far so good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by