1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneaky 2 Year Old + Incubators = Fried Eggs Long, Sad, Tale of Woe

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Patchesnposies, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I had 14 Spitzhauben and 10 Brabanter eggs that were on day 12 in my LG incubator. I had well over 2 dozen Spitzhauben eggs in my old reliable Hova Bator that were on the same day.

I keep the incubators tucked away in a spare bathroom-that we never use. I have hatched out many, many chicks and ducklings in these two bators. They were set spot on for temperature and humidity.

I had candled a number of the eggs and saw nice healthy veins and was deliriously happy with how the process was going. I had high hopes for a great hatch!

I got up this morning to go and check on the eggs, when to my horror the digital temp and humidity display for the hova showed 104! (I keep the display in the kitchen so I can keep an eye on it.)

I ran to the bathroom and was too sick to even cry when I saw that the LG was reading 120 degrees. All of those little babies in the LG absolutely fried.

I knew immediately that it had to be the 2 year old, who has been showing an increasing interest in the "Chippie's catching". (Chickies hatching)

I keep an eagle eye on that bathroom to make sure no unauthorized persons (children under the age of 7 in my house) ever go in there.

When I queried my DH and the older kids, my 11 year old told me he had found the least one in there and shoo'ed him out last night. When I asked the little man if he had been in there he told me he was "helping the chippies."

Hubby, God Bless him, had no clue and was sure the baby "Couldn't Have!" (He hates when things happen on HIS watch.)

This was the one night I decided to let Papa put the kids to bed without me and took a bubble bath....which I rarely ever take the time to do, and what happens? The 2 year old flies under the radar.

Here is the culprit-refusing to "lose the 'tude" in spite of his sibling's best efforts.
    [​IMG]

There are about a hundred different "If Only's" and "I Should Haves".

I couldn't believe how sad and sick I was about the whole thing. My DH opened them all up to see how many had developed and if things were going along as great as I thought they had been.

All but one was developing!

(I couldn't open them myself, I would have bawled all day.)

Besides the digital read thermometers, I have one that I keep inside the incubators too. For the Hova, the thermometer inside the bator showed 102 at the top of the eggs......so I am hoping with the hope of the foolish or deranged, that some of these eggs make it. I candled one egg and I "thought" I could see movement along with tons of good veins.

Fortunately, the Hovabator takes a strong hand when adjusting it, compared to the infinitesimal, micro-movements that the LG takes.

That's why the Hova only changed by 4 degrees at the top of the eggs and the LG jumped up to 120.

DH installed a kid proof gate in the bathroom doorway and made it a permanent barrier for the time being. He screwed it in place!

I am consoling myself with the fact that eggs are replaceable, people are not. It wasn't something bad that happened to my sweet husband or any of my kids.

We almost lost my 11 year old son two years ago to a myocardial infection-he was hospitalized in the ICU for 2 months and we were told there was a good chance he wouldn't make it....so comparably this is nothing more than a minor irritation, you know?

Still, I love my baby chicks and am already making arrangements to fill my empty incubator!

Deb

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    oh I'm sorry you lost your eggs![​IMG] I bet ya the others are fine!! He sure is a cutie!! You have beautiful children!![​IMG]

3. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Beautiful kidlets!! [​IMG]

I'm so sorry you lost your eggs [​IMG] I hope the ones you have left are just fine.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Been there, too. Meddling grandson decided to fiddle with the "little knob sticking up" (mind you, this GS is 12 yrs. old) and when I walked by & checked the thermometer inside the homemade bator (which I do many times during the day) it read 139 degrees. I could happily have pinched his head off on the spot. A full load of Silkie and OEGB chicks gone... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Oh, Crtrlvr! Your post not only made me smile, you made me LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Saying you could have "happily pinched his head off on the spot" so exactly stated my feelings at the moment of discovery, and in such a hilarious way!

I am sorry for your loss, too. It's just no fun to worry and work and wait....only to have that effort ruined.

I can't even imagine what I would have done if it had been my eldest son who messed with it!

Thanks for sharing your story....

6. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Oh, sorry for your loss. That's gotta hurt.

On the bright side, these little kidlets that are so interested in the incubators, while they may cause disasters at their young age, they are probably the most likely to carry on with hatching chicklets when they're older! [​IMG]

Hope you find some lovely eggs to refill the incubator.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes, I agree. I know sometimes kids, they do the darndest things as the saying goes. But is sure can be maddening also. Keep up your spirit and refill your bators! Best of luck to you!

8. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Thanks everyone for the words of support and encouragement.

And I do agree, BirdMom, these ornery, interested little ones will be the ones who carry on the hatching legacy!

All of the kid's love the chickens so much and help me care for them. Caleb adjusting the incubators, in his mind, was just another way of "helping".

Though he has been told over and over not to touch the incubators or even go in that room. But, he's two, what can ya say?

I showed the older kids the photo I posted and because they are not yet teenager's they were delighted with their silly faces.

They were trying to jolly Caleb into sucking his lower lip back in, LOL. A couple more years and I probably wouldn't have gotten away with it!

I am feeling a lot better about the whole thing by this afternoon. I appreciate you guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by