Sneaky nester

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklin Ducklin, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Ducklin Ducklin

Ducklin Ducklin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    For the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to find any eggs from my two welsh harlequins, but thought they might be taking a break while starting to molt with the coming spring. Yesterday though, I found one of my girls snuggled up under the old plastic pool draped over the old charcoal grill on a big old nest of eggs. It must be all the eggs both girls have laid, but she sure is nesting. My question is, can I move the nest to the coop and block her in there with them, or will she abandon the nest if I move it? I'd like her to hatch the ducklings. Or should I wait and let her hatch them outside then move her and babies into the coop after.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the nest is in a predator secure area, I would let her brood there. I have had very poor success in trying to move setting ducks. Make sure that there are not more eggs than she can successfully incubate.

3. Ducklin Ducklin

Sep 5, 2013
    I think she is pretty safe there, but I think she and my other duck are stil laying eggs in this nest. There are two more than yesterday. Do you think my other duck will keep laying eggs as this nesting duck gets more serious about sitting, or might she stop laying for some time. There are 9 eggs now and I know it is both of their eggs. They have tended to usually lay their eggs in the same spot each day, but I wonder what will happen when my nesting duck stops getting off the nest.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Once she goes into full maternal mode, mark the eggs and remove any that are added to the clutch.

5. Ducklin Ducklin

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks!

6. Ducklin Ducklin

Sep 5, 2013
    These eggs are just starting to hatch and I actually noticed because I found a dead duckling in the yard. I don't know if it died while hatching or if something got it shortly after hatching. Is it dangerous to keep the male near the hatchlings or does he need to be kept separate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by