sneaky silkie!! i need advice!!

lauren6

Songster
Feb 12, 2010
Roanoke VA
while I thought i was collecting all the eggs everyday my broody silkie which has now turned into two broody silkies had a couple eggs hiding in the corner of the nest box, well surprise!! I now have a baby chick in my coop!! should I move the chick, the unhatched egg out and moms out. or will they be ok in the coop with the other chickens??

Do not move the mom and unhatched eggs now if you want them to hatch. The baby doesn't need to eat for a couple of days, just leave them be.

Quote:
Ditto, except I would put a little food and water by them in case.the baby is ready to eat sooner. Even though they absorb the yolk for up to 3 days some like to eat and drink before then. How is your nest box set up? Could you close it off and give them food and water in there? Good luck!

I can clost up the nest box so that is a option but I also have a smaller coop and run setup beside the big one that the new chicks just moved out of I could put them in there.. but what about when the baby starts to get out I dont want it eating the layer food before its ready?

You just want a low barrier on the nest box to keep the chick from getting out before mom says it's time to go. By the time the chick is able to get over that barrier you will know if the other eggs have hatched (you are only going to do this for 2-3 days maximum). Then go ahead and move the momma hen and all chicks to the smaller pen.

Putting some small amount of moistened chick food in a jar lid is a good thing. I just wouldn't let other chickens get at any food or water left for the chick and disturb mom or make a mess.

Back
Top Bottom