Sneaky turkey hen laid an egg in THIS weather!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenannie, Oct 4, 2009.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I've been watching the hen act all sneaky for a week or two now like she's nesting, but I knew it was the wrong season, and today just before she went in her coop for the night (they free-range), she skittered away to peek under a distant shrub. She then went in the coop, and when I looked under the shrub, yup, there is one beautiful white turkey egg!

So, my question is, it would be insane to try to let her hatch a nest now, since it's October and it will be wayyy too cold for them, RIGHT? Temps are getting to be 65 in the day, and 40-45 at night, and will continue getting colder.

I typically trust my hen's instincts but I can't understand why she would even be trying to start a nest now! Anyone ever had eggs laid this late? Do turkeys in the wild lay this late?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    anyone know about this?

3. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I wouldn't let her set at this point...if she goes on to lay a full clutch even.....since it is getting cold and all that.

As far as I know, wild turkeys typically just nest in the spring.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I have no idea what Turkeys in the wild do but my domestic Turkeys will lay the occasional egg in the fall & winter.

5. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    My beltsvilles lay more in the fall than they do in the spring...Royal palms lay 1 or 2 then they are done. If you have a tom with the hen there is no reason to believe that the eggs wouldn't be fertile, my turkeys eggs are fertile in the fall. I think I would break up her nest unless you want turkey poults durring the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by