sneesing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bikerdud2al, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bikerdud2al

bikerdud2al Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    my chickens are very healthy. and lay eggs well . but i have some that are sneeesing . and lost two chickens last week . does anyone have an idea what ,s going on . and what i need to do fore them.

2. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

I would euthanize everybody who's symptomatic. And do a search for CRD.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I disagree coq au vin...I have had a problem lately with chicks having CRD, but before that I posted a thread wondering why my rooster was sneezing and after a few days of that being his only symptom he got better with no intervention whatsoever. Later my andalusian did the same thing and healed with no intervention. If sneezing is the only symptom, no runny noses, coughing, bubbly eyes, etc, I would just add some vitamins to the water and cull only those who exhibit some additional symptoms listed above. Why kill chickens who may honestly not have CRD? And from what I have read on this forum ABOUT crd, once you have it in the area, you are basically doomed to keep it so long as you have chickens and there is no cure so why kill all chickens, including those asymptomatic, and not be able to have any at all? I personally prefer to treat the curable sicknesses with electrolytes/vitamins, and only destroy the truly "sick" chickens who will not improve with treatment. That has worked for me.

OP, if you try searching "sneezing chickens" you will find many threads wherein there are various reasons not related to CRD for chickens to sneeze.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:COMPLETELY dissagree-Im sorry follow Bigaddy'sgirls advice and defintely look up CRD and other illnesses just to be sure that is what you are dealing with It s been very wet and damp here all Summer/Fall and I have had the same issues-they heal on their own and no deaths-no running noses/eyes etc...

5. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

BigDaddy'sGurl :

Why kill chickens who may honestly not have CRD? And from what I have read on this forum ABOUT crd, once you have it in the area, you are basically doomed to keep it so long as you have chickens and there is no cure so why kill all chickens, including those asymptomatic, and not be able to have any at all?

I never said I'd euthanize the asymptomatic ones. I would euthanize the symptomatic ones in accordance with my proactive chicken management plan and Animal Welfare Approved guidelines. The asymptomatic ones are the ones that were healthy enough not to have gotten sick.​

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:I never said I'd euthanize the asymptomatic ones. I would euthanize the symptomatic ones in accordance with my proactive chicken management plan and Animal Welfare Approved guidelines. The asymptomatic ones are the ones that were healthy enough not to have gotten sick.

I sincerely apologize coq au vin. You are right, you never said to euthanize the asymptomatic ones. My mistake! Must have had a former posting on my mind...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by