1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SNEEZING 7 wk old Pullet ~Need Advice Please~

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tail_feather, Aug 8, 2011.

  1. tail_feather

    tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

    146
    7
    128
    Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Hello, We have a 7 week old Blue Orpington pullet. She acts perfectly healthy, no discharges, swollen eyes, etc. She sneezes a "rattling" sneeze and shakes her head as she sneezes about every 5 or 10 mins. Started noticing a "light" sneeze about 4 days ago. It has since gotten louder with more of a "rattle" sound when she sneezes. Anyone have any suggestions? Should we separate and treat, or wait it out? Thank you in advance! Rand
     
  2. Msbear

    Msbear Fancy Banties

    4,591
    28
    266
    May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    definitely separate. I would immediately start her on antibiotic. I have a bit of a problem with a rare variety of rosecombs I am working on. They are too precious to destroy over it at the moment but, as soon as I get more to choose from, those birds that suffer from this condition will be culled from the flock. Your bird has a virus. It's probably nothing terrible but, it is contagious and especially so to other, less healthy stock. She will most likely recover but, can relapse when stressed (heat/cold/etc.) Some may say cull her now.. it just depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your birds. If you just want pets in your backyard, treat her. If you are planning on breeding toward the standard or selling offspring, the more responsible thing to do would be to cull. Good Luck.

    also... if you wait too long, the antibiotic may not be affective
     
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. tail_feather

    tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

    146
    7
    128
    Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Thank you! What is the best and quickest anitbiotic to use?
     
  4. Msbear

    Msbear Fancy Banties

    4,591
    28
    266
    May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I guess it wouldn't be a "virus" because it couldn't be treated.. right?


    Anyway, I would use terramycin. You can purchase at your local Tractor Supply co. or feed store. Mix up 1 - 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. It is noneffective after 24 hours so you have to mix up a new batch daily.. for 7-10 days.

    Good Luck [​IMG]
     
  5. R.M. Hens

    R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

    149
    1
    99
    Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    I just had the same thing happen to one of my pullets. Sneezing and rattling. The only difference is my pullet had a watery, swollen eye. She was otherwise healthy and eating and drinking. I pulled her immediately and started Duramycin 800mg. I think the dosage was 3/4 tsp per quart. Make fresh everyday because it is only good for 24 hours once mixed. She did actually seem to get worse before starting to get better after about the 4th day. I gave her Duramaycin for 10 days and she fully recovered and has since been put back into the flock. I think she had pneumonia or something like that, but not a virus because I don't think the antibiotics would have worked if it was. We had alot of rain for about 2 weeks and I think that may have caused whatever she had, but antibiotics helped and all is back to normal.

    Good luck with your pullet! [​IMG]
     
  6. JakRat

    JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I have an EE who has been sneezing for about a week and a half now. She just has a runny rose... doesnt smell, and TYLAN 50 did nothing, so for her its either a virus or she has something stuck in her nose (as per a suggestion of another forum member). Deff do the duramycin to see if that helps. I was just piping in to give other possibilities.
     
  7. tail_feather

    tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

    146
    7
    128
    Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Update: She still acts just fine, I bought the Tylan 50. Gave her the first dose this evening. I guess we will see. Thanks to everyone for their help! That is why I love this site. [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by