SNEEZING 7 wk old Pullet ~Need Advice Please~

tail_feather

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Columbia, TN
Hello, We have a 7 week old Blue Orpington pullet. She acts perfectly healthy, no discharges, swollen eyes, etc. She sneezes a "rattling" sneeze and shakes her head as she sneezes about every 5 or 10 mins. Started noticing a "light" sneeze about 4 days ago. It has since gotten louder with more of a "rattle" sound when she sneezes. Anyone have any suggestions? Should we separate and treat, or wait it out? Thank you in advance! Rand

definitely separate. I would immediately start her on antibiotic. I have a bit of a problem with a rare variety of rosecombs I am working on. They are too precious to destroy over it at the moment but, as soon as I get more to choose from, those birds that suffer from this condition will be culled from the flock. Your bird has a virus. It's probably nothing terrible but, it is contagious and especially so to other, less healthy stock. She will most likely recover but, can relapse when stressed (heat/cold/etc.) Some may say cull her now.. it just depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your birds. If you just want pets in your backyard, treat her. If you are planning on breeding toward the standard or selling offspring, the more responsible thing to do would be to cull. Good Luck.

also... if you wait too long, the antibiotic may not be affective

Last edited:
I guess it wouldn't be a "virus" because it couldn't be treated.. right?

Anyway, I would use terramycin. You can purchase at your local Tractor Supply co. or feed store. Mix up 1 - 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. It is noneffective after 24 hours so you have to mix up a new batch daily.. for 7-10 days.

Good Luck
frow.gif

I just had the same thing happen to one of my pullets. Sneezing and rattling. The only difference is my pullet had a watery, swollen eye. She was otherwise healthy and eating and drinking. I pulled her immediately and started Duramycin 800mg. I think the dosage was 3/4 tsp per quart. Make fresh everyday because it is only good for 24 hours once mixed. She did actually seem to get worse before starting to get better after about the 4th day. I gave her Duramaycin for 10 days and she fully recovered and has since been put back into the flock. I think she had pneumonia or something like that, but not a virus because I don't think the antibiotics would have worked if it was. We had alot of rain for about 2 weeks and I think that may have caused whatever she had, but antibiotics helped and all is back to normal.

Good luck with your pullet!
thumbsup.gif

I have an EE who has been sneezing for about a week and a half now. She just has a runny rose... doesnt smell, and TYLAN 50 did nothing, so for her its either a virus or she has something stuck in her nose (as per a suggestion of another forum member). Deff do the duramycin to see if that helps. I was just piping in to give other possibilities.

Update: She still acts just fine, I bought the Tylan 50. Gave her the first dose this evening. I guess we will see. Thanks to everyone for their help! That is why I love this site.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom