Sneezing + a bit of nasal discharge

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jsto, May 27, 2007.

1. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Ok, so the other day when a few chicks started sneezing after I changed their bedding, I figured it was just a normal reaction to the dust stirred up. I still believe this to be true, but after bringing my chicks in after a bit of play time outside today, I noticed my Delaware had started sneezing. Out of curiousity, I picked her up to look at her face and noticed a bit of nasal discharge. It's clear and just a little bit, but now I'm worried. She's very active, curious, and eats and drinks like a horse. She's been rubbing her nose on the shavings now, which in turn seems to make her sneeze more.

I'm about to go check on her again to see if it was really discharge or just normal immediately after sneezing. Should I be worried??

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My roo, Bok Bok was doing the same thing after I changed the pine shavings. He did it for about 2 days. He has stopped and is living happily outside in the clean dust-free air.

This is what I learned when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with him:
    ~Clear nasal discharge is one thing, but white or yellow thing nasal discharge is bad
    ~If they are still eating and drinking and acting normal, they probably are just reacting to allergies
    ~Hold the chick in your hand and put your ear to it's back and listen for irregular or raspy breathing (then be worried)

I hope they're ok. I'm sure others here know more about this than me and can help you out more.

3. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the reply [​IMG]

I've just gone and had a listen to her breathing and promptly freaked out before realising that, like an idiot, I had mistaken her heartbeat for raspy breathing [​IMG]

She sounds fine. I listened to the other chicks as well and everyone sounds good. The 'nasal discharge' is no longer there (and when it was there, it was clear--not yellow or infectious looking at all), although the sneezing still is. So I suppose I was right in thinking it was just normal. Can't help being a paranoid mom, though. Probably wouldn't have freaked so much if it hadn't happened immediately after I had just brought them inside from only their 2nd trip out. Or if I hadn't been reading about chicken illness and disease earlier. I'm well on my way to being a chicky hypochondriac, I tell ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by