1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneezing..all my chicks are increasing sneezing...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by savingpurple, May 6, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Started a few weeks back with one or two. Now as I was feeding them a almost eaten ear of corn, they were all sneezing. SO new to this that I am concerned. Should I be? Any help would be much appreciated.

Haven't changed the wood shavings since last Sunday. Do that weekly. same feed as always. Nothing new?

Thanks in advance.

2. britsngrits

britsngrits Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    WV
    A few weeks back I had some chicks that I noticed were sneezing one night. By the time I went to bed two of them were in serious trouble. One was gasping for breath. I instantly grabbed the duramycin 10 and forced some down with a syringe. It did the trick by the morning they were all chirping around eating and behaving normal. They were still sneezing but I kept them on the antibiotic for a full week and they all got over it.

How old are yours? Do you have any antibiotic you can give them? Are they on medicated feed already? If they are young chicks I don't give them corn... only starter for the first 8 weeks. Have you noticef if any of them have their beaks open as if they are struggling to breathe?

If they have all been together chances are it will spread even if you pull the obviously ill ones out... you can do that still if you think the others are too rough for the ill ones. I didn't... I kept mine together because like kids... by the time you see the problem it's already brooding in the others. I treated them ALL to be on the safe side.

3. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Had them on Durymicin-10 due to runny poo for 10 days. That seems better. One always sneezed, but now all of them are. I added it back into the water this morning.

Yes, I have givien them corn. Was not aware I was not suppose to before 8 weeks of age. They are 7 weeks. Had some about week 6 on up to yesterday.Should I stop giving them any greens, and corn?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your chicks should only be fed started/grower feed til they are 18-20 weeks or until one of them lays its first egg. (I usually wait til the first egg is laid) Then you switch to layer crumbles or layer pellets. ETA: Stop the corn and greens.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Will do ! Thank you so much for the advice. I had decided anyways to back off anything other than the feed and then reintorduce one item at a time to rule it out, but will stop untill they are laying!

Much appreciative !!

Is this a medical issue that I have caused by feeding them other stuff? Should I be concerned and should I continue the Duramycin-10?

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I doubt the corn and greens caused the sneezing. You originally stated that 1 or 2 started sneezing, then all of them. At first I was thinking it could be something in the environment causing the sneezing...such as dust from their feed, dust particulates in the air, environmental in other words....but if it's not environmental, it could be a respiratory issue. You would need to continue with the duramycin. However, if it's a viral issue, antibiotics wont help. Either or, they will remain carriers for life and you will have to close your flock...none in, none out. The only other option I'm sorry to say, is to cull and disinfect everything.

7. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    ok. Thanks. They are alert. Happy. and very receptive to me. They eat well, drink well, active, and just, well, doing well, BUT I don't know chickens, and that is where you all come in to help me. Which this site has been a huge help !

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by