Sneezing and Boogers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SumatraBantam, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SumatraBantam

SumatraBantam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    My two little bantam Sumatras that I purchased recently (two days ago) have one problem.

They sound like they have allergies or a cold. My little hen sneezes every so often, and so does my rooster. When I pick my hen up, and carry her around, she gradually becomes more and more congested. To the point that I can hear the snot in her little nostrils rolling around. [​IMG][​IMG]

Then I have to put her down on the ground, and she sneezes, and walks off, looking perfectly healthy. (Breathing normally.)

Besides having allergies, they seem fine, and eat a lot, drink a lot, vocalize and mate... They're healthy, except for their sneezing and congestion.

What's wrong? It's winter where I live, and pretty low humidity... They have nice dry bedding.

How can I help them?

1 person likes this.
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Is it really dusty in their coop??? It could be a cold and could turn into a respiratory problem.

3. GuntherandInga

GuntherandInga Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cold... What medicine do I give them to make them better?

No, it's not dusty in my coop, but I think the guy who owned them (Doug Akers) did.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by