1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneezing and coughing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabriellebw, Sep 30, 2012.

1. gabriellebw

gabriellebw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    One of my hens has had what seems like a cold for a month now. She started off with a lot of sneezing, coughing,mouth breathing, and nasal discharge. Soon after she stopped laying and started molting. We tried to treat her naturally for two weeks, but put her on clavamox when she didn't improve. Her symptoms are less now. She is not breathing through her mouth and the nasal discharge is lighter, but she is still sneezing and coughing. She still isn't laying, but aside form these symptoms seems healthy. She has a great appetite, is drinking, and has energy. My vet doesn't know what is wrong with her. I feel bad because she has been isolated from the flock for a month now. Any ideas what this might be?

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Have you considered gapeworm? It will make your hen sound like this:

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I doubt gapeworm with all the other symptoms.... Respitory illness symptoms are usually treated with Tylan 50 cattle injectable... But you are only treating the symptoms as there is no cure and can spread to the other chickens. Do a search on respitory illnesses of poultry and it will give a lot of info...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's not gapeworm, especially after a month of the symptoms you described...she would be dead by now if it were gapes. You're dealing with a respiratory disease as Chickenzoo stated. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry: Take a look at Infectious Bronchitis (IB,)
    Infectious Coryza, and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum(MG.)
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Whether it's gapeworm or not I felt bad because she wasn't being answered.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm sure she appreciates your help.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by