Sneezing and does not lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama fluff, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Wasn’t sure where to post this but I have a hen who is almost two years old she has been sneezing since she was a chick ! ( I bought her as a day old chick) no other symptoms except she has literally only laid maybe 2 or 3 eggs in her life! She eats and drinks and is normal otherwise!! I was just wondering does anyone have a chicken who just sneezes and isn’t sick? What could be the reason for this? Do chickens have allergies? As for the non egg laying she did just go through a hard molt ! She was practically bald !

2. BDutch

BDutch Songster

May 19, 2015
    the Netherlands
    My Coop
    I have no experience with a chicken like this. But I had 6 chicks with a cold couple a years ago. Some were lightly sneezing and grew over it in a week of 2. After six weeks the one with most problems finally got over it.

Because I was worried I read about sneezing and sick chickens. There is a disease IB /infection (a type of influenza) that can cause problems with the egg production. And makes hens infertile. Sorry I forgot the name to search for it on the internet.

If you think she is happy, and you don’t mind she doesn’t produce any eggs? I would keep her.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Does she sneeze all the time or do you notice it more when she has been eating/drinking?
    Since she is almost 2yrs old and has sneezed since she was a chick and you don't mention that any of your other birds have ever had any problems, the likelihood that she has a respiratory disease is small.
    What breed is she? Do you have another similar breed to compare her to? Possibly her nares (nostrils) are smaller?
    I would take a guess that it's just the way she is. Laying only a few eggs over her lifetime, one might conclude that she has a genetic or developmental problem. But that would be just a guess.
    Sounds like she's a pet, so I agree, I would enjoy her. I would not use her for any breeding if that's part of your goals/plans.

aart and ChickenCanoe like this.
  4. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    she is a frizzled satin silkie mix and yes she sneezes mostly when eating and drinking but also on roost at night ! I have others that I got with her though not related I don’t think ? Got them as chicks ! No one else constantly sneezes she has never gotten any worse nor better so I figured it was just her? And I never treated cause no other symptoms but that! Yes she is a pet and even if I wanted to breed her I couldn’t she does not lay! No eggs! Lol but no I wouldn’t ! I was just wondering if there was something I could do for her? Do you think a antibiotic would help? I don’t really care that she doesn’t lay I get more then enough eggs!

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you ! I’m definitely going to keep her it just always bothered me and I thought maybe there was something I could do ? I’ve tried feeding natural things like herbs .. oregano, basil and garlic and such things good for respiratory to see if that would help but no changes !

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Are her nostrils free of debris or food? I've never had Silkies, but some people find that they need to clear the nostrils frequently - seems their nostrils get clogged up. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html

Personally, I would not treat her with an antibiotic since the sneezing is something she's done for almost 2 years - she's no better/worse and has no "new" symptoms.

Sometimes dust and poor ventilation in the coop is a contributor to sneezing - does she roost really low where there's not a lot of fresh air coming in?
    LOL duh:oops: Well, you make perfect sense on the breeding since she doesn't lay eggs!
    My goodness, sometimes my brain doesn't connect things :lol:

aart and Mama fluff like this.
  7. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Lol no need to hide!! No actually the roost is about 3 feet ! Do chickens have allergies ?

8. Mama fluff

Mama fluff Chirping

Nov 4, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Oh and I will check her nostrils I never new that ! And thanks for the link :)

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Well, I would say "no" they really don't have "allergies". Excess dust, mold, etc. are irritating to their respiratory system and can cause infection or damage the lungs and air sacs.

rosemarythyme and aart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: