Sneezing and large crop???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MMG15, Mar 9, 2014.

1. MMG15

MMG15 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Hello! I am new to this site but not to chickens. My husband and I have had a small flock for about 5 years now and we just love them. We have lost some over the last few years and decided to get some new babies this spring.

We have an issue that we have never seen before and after days of searching the internet, I still cannot find something that describes the illness two of my chicks are suffering from...

These two babies are between 3 and 4 weeks old. One of them was sneezing and seemed swollen in her abdomen a day or so after we got her home. She waddled and sat a lot but continued to eat and drink. I gave her some epsom salt water thinking she was constipated and that seemed to help a little. The other one started sneezing a day or two after that. Now both are sneezing and have swollen crops and I am still not sure what's going on. Their eyes are clear and there is no noticeable discharge from their nose.Their breathing is a bit labored but no coughing. I have had them separated from our other babies for several days now and none of the others are showing any signs of illness. I have them on the duramycin 10 which seems to have helped the one that was worse and swollen but they have been on it for 4 days and still sneeze A LOT. They are eating, drinking, pooping normally, growing and are active. Any idea what could be going on with these two?

Also, we were told they were buff orpingtons but I have never had that breed before. Are they this light colored as chicks?

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. MMG15

MMG15 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I took these babies to the vet today and she was stumped as well. Without expensive testing/x-rays she said she could not determine what exactly was going on and I am not in a position to spend that kind of money. She didn't believe it was a respiratory issue as their eyes are clear and neither has any facial/nasal issues/swelling. She did think the one that was ill first and had the large abdomen may have an issue with slow digestion. She recommended keeping them on the duramycin 10, electrolytes and probiotics. If they continue to improve we will give them a chance. If we do not see improvement, we will have to let them go. Any suggestions on how to improve digestion in month old chicks besides probiotics?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could those be meat chickens like cornish cross? The one on the left has huge legs. That might explain the large crops. As for the sneezing, I would make sure there is as little dust as possible, although the feed sometimes is dusty. Check for ammonia odor in the brooder because that can make them sneeze as well. Where did you get them--feedstore or private breeder?

4. MMG15

MMG15 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    They very well could be meat chickens. We purchased them at a feed store. The one on the left is the one that has been "swollen," sits a lot and waddles around when she walks. This is the one the vet said seemed to not be digesting properly and had a somewhat hard abdomen. I've never had meat chickens and did not intend to raise any but it is very possible that could be part if the issue. I have kept these two in clean straw with good ventilation and the one on the right seems to be doing much better. She feels a lot thinner and less "meaty."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by