Sneezing and pus in eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyfeathers, Feb 12, 2014.

1. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Hi,
    My barred rock has been sneezing and has had pus (I think) in her eyes.
    What should I treat her with? She is eating, drinking, laying, and pooing
    Normally. None of my other girls are ill. I was giving Apple cider vinegar and
    I'm not sure that is even helpful in this situation. I couldn't find any info on the specific symptoms that my barred rock is showing. Thank you in advance.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sounds like a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (CRD) or coryza if you see swollen eyes or face. Tylan, erythromycin, and oxytetracycline will treat those. Coryza sometimes responds better to sulfa drugs such as Di-Methox or sulfadimethoxine. Sulmet is also used for coryza.

3. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I will check for swelling tomorrow and decide what treatment to administer. Can I get these medicines at Fleet Farm or do they have to come from a vet. I will also research the two diseases you listed. I appreciate a seasoned chicken owner sharing their knowledge with me, thank you excessive.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most farm stores carry Tylan50 injectible, Tylan Soluble Powder, and Duramycin 20 (a type of tetracylcine.) Some may carry the others, but if you simply search Google, you can find and compare prices. Whatever you get check back here if you need mixing instructions. Here is a link for the liquid Di-Methox (they also sell erythromycin and powder packets of Di-Methox):http://www.jefferspet.com/di-methox-drinking-water-solution/camid/liv/cp/A2-DB/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by