1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneezing and runny nose?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooster brandon., Oct 24, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Ok my whole flock has been sneezing and when they turn there head a certain angle you can see a runny nose first it started with my barred rock(hen) now they all have it even my rooster!They every now and then sneeze but have a runny nose all the time.It started when it started getting cold out what is this?It seems like a normal runny nose that humans get when it gets cold out what is this thing it makes me sorry for my chickens i haven't seen this in my seramas or dutch hens.........Please help what is this?

2. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    What is this weird thing?

3. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    What is this weird thing?

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Have you pulled the sick ones out from the healthy? Maybe antibotic or tylan injectable? Are they sick? Like tails down and eyes closed?

5. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    no just an every now and then sneeze and a runny nose there all sick so i cant just pull one away.........No tails down or eyes closed.....Its not getting worse its just like a human cold.........

6. MainelySeramas

MainelySeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Sounds to me like they have a Respiratory problem. I am having the same thing, you must act quickly! I have already lost 3 of my laying hens and have 2 in Isolation. I give 2 tablespoons of Sulmet (sulfur) in a gallon of drinking water. Unfortunately It came on so fast, by the time I recognize what was going on, I had already lost the hens And it was just a matter of 2 days. So today I put all the chickens outside, then pulled everything out of the barn, scrubbed and bleached their waterers and feeders. Took all the shavings that I had just put into the shed 2 weeks ago out of the shed, then I sprayed all cracks and crevices with PD44, Then I let a Bomb off keeping the doors closed for 2 hours to kill any mites or lice,( I usually do this twice a year) then opened up the shed to air out, replace shavings, water,feed.
    A Thing to Remember when giving medication to your chickens, especially to your laying hens, DO NOT SELL OR EAT THE EGGS FOR AT LEAST 3 WEEKS AFTER MEDICATION HAS BEEN GIVEN!
    Chickens need a dry, warm, clean enviroment, draft free from cold winds and rain.

I think my problem started, when the weather here went from 70 degrees down to 40 degree, Rainy, wet cold wind blown rain, it was like that for 2 weeks! Evne though I had my chickens in their shed during those days, just the dampness set in. I now am running Lamps with 60 watt bulbs and a 250 watt heat lamp. I usually don't run these till the end of december, that goes to show you how the weather has been.

I am praying that my 2 hens make it through this, I've already lost enough! It is Heartbreaking!

I wish you the best and I hope this has helped you!

Anyone else having this sort of problem?

Websites for Respiratory Diseases:
    http://www.veterinaryworld.org/Vol.1 No.7 Full Text/Common Respiratory Diseases of Poultry.pdf

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    same problem here.it seems alot of people are dealing with it.i have an orp. that was so bad friday i thought we would have to cull her.ive been misting her with the oxine and ive seen a huge improvement in her.this will probably run thru your flock.some will get worse maybe die and some will recover and be ok.just take 1 day at a time.if any get worse symptoms then seperate and start using antibiotics.if for now they only have runny noses and an ocassional sneeze i wouldnt start with antibiotics yet.i have a roo thats been sneezing for 3 weeks and no other symptoms..the rest of my flock are showing no symptoms.i dont like to just jump in and use antibiotics unless its really necessary.just my opinion.good luck.

8. leedle1965

leedle1965 Out Of The Brooder

My rooster is sneezing and quit crowing. His nose is runny but clear. I've noticed several of my chickens have their eyes closed a lot more. I started treating the whole flock this morning with Sulmet. I don't want to risk losing them. Lucky for me I don't have any layers right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by