Sneezing and Runny nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoppiesChicks, Jun 9, 2011.

1. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I just picked up 10 pullets from a lady and rode in the car with them for 2 hours and no sneezing. I get them home and put them in the coop without anyone else and they start sneezing and blowing snot bubbles from their noses. I put them back in the carrier and have them in that now. What do I do??? Are these sick or could they be irritated by the new bedding. I use sand and DE and the lady I got them from used wood shavings. I don't think they would get a runny nose that quickly but I'm new and don't know if its possible. I also was taking one of roosters to the lady but when it was time to give him to her the kids had a fit about Prince William staying with us. Anyway my polish rode back home with those other pullets. Is he now infected with whatever they have? The kids will be so sad if we have to take Prince William "to another farm"(freezer). Help!!!

2. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I was moving the chickens around and haven't noticed anymore sneezing or runny nose. Could it have been from the change of environment? I would think that if it was respiratory they would sneeze all the time. I was dusting them with DE on their back when it started. I'm not sure if I should but I wanted to stop mites and lice. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

3. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Respiratory infection doesn't mean they need to sneeze. When mine had it, The just had a gurgle in their throat and they had runny nose and one had a swollen face. I would say these birds are sick. Previously I mean. Once sick, always sick and the move is stressful on birds and makes their symptoms reappear. I would contact the seller and find out if they had ever previously been sick of treated for anything. Don't hold you breath that she will admit to selling you sick birds. I would keep them in quarantine for at least 2 weeks and watch their symptoms.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I would definitely keep them in quarantine as long as you can 4 weeks is best. It *might* have just been the DE but you'll want to watch them very closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by