Sneezing and yellow lesions inside mouth

Strumpan

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2019
Help
What is wrong with my hen?
She is 6 months old and started sneezing and open mouth breathing 2 months ago.
She was acting fine in all ways except the sneezing.
She has no swelling in her face,clear eyes and just a little bit of nasal discharge but you have to look really close to see it.
A week ago i noticed she had really small yellow lesions inside her mouth,especially in the corner of the mouth.
Here in sweden we dont have pox on poultry so i thought that maybe she had thrush or canker but now she is on day 5 of diflucan and nothing is getting better.
She is sneezing more and more and the lesions just keeps getting a bit bigger every day and if i clean the small lesions away they just come back over night.
She is eating well and are not loosing weight
The vet in my area dont have a clue about chickens so i cant take her there.
I hope you guys have some clue about what is going on with her

Last edited:
She is 6 months old and started sneezing and open mouth breathing 2 months ago.
She was acting fine in all ways except the sneezing.
She has no swelling in her face,clear eyes and just a little bit of nasal discharge but you have to look really close to see it.

A week ago i noticed she had really small yellow lesions inside her mouth,especially in the corner of the mouth.
Here in sweden we dont have pox on poultry so i thought that maybe she had thrush or canker but now she is on day 5 of diflucan and nothing is getting better.

She is sneezing more and more and the lesions just keeps getting a bit bigger every day and if i clean the small lesions away they just come back over night.
She is eating well and are not loosing weight
Can you please post some photos of your pullet and the inside of her beak?
Is her crop empty in the mornings?
Do the lesions have a bad odor?

Diflucan is an anti-fungal so if it's not making a difference, then likely it's not thrush.

Canker is cause by a protozoa and would require a different type of drug for treatment like Metronidazole.

Can you get Acidified Copper Sulfate where you live too?

I also am suggesting you try to locate some copper sulfate. It can be safely used to treat canker when other meds may not work. Here's the recipe.
You offer it as the only water source for four days.
  • 2 ½ liters of water
  • 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 gram of copper sulfate

I will try to take pictures when she wakes up tomorrow.
Her crop is empty every morning and full every night
She has a bad odor but its not that bad.
I think i can find copper sulfate but i need to look that up
If it is canker,will she be carrier for the rest of her life?

I will try to take pictures when she wakes up tomorrow.
Her crop is empty every morning and full every night
She has a bad odor but its not that bad.
I think i can find copper sulfate but i need to look that up
If it is canker,will she be carrier for the rest of her life?
Yes, if it's canker, then she will be a carrier for life.

Acidified Copper Sulfate in the flock's water for 3 days each month can help lessen the spread.

20191027_144442.jpg
20191018_194415.jpg

I would try also to get metronidazole (Flagyl, Fishzole,) which sometimes you can get from a tropical fish supply store or perhaps online. We can get FishZole here online without a vet prescription. There have been some who have recommended thyme extract for a treatment, and although I don’t have a dosage, that might work if you cannot get metronidazole. I have not treated canker, but it can grow quickly and block the air way, so keep an eye on that. Other infectious diseases as said earlier, can cause these yellow lesions inside the beak and throat.

Back
Top Bottom