Sneezing babies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fintuckyfarms, Jan 8, 2014.

1. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    Two of new birds are sneezing and one has a clear runny nose. Both are alert, eating and drinking but puffed up like they are cold.
    I immediately isolated them from the other 7 (who are a bit older) into a dog kennel in the house where I can monitor them better. I made the kennel draft free, added ACV and some oxytetracycline to the water. They seem more alert this morning but still a bit puffed up and my house is 70*. Their stool is normal and I only see clear discharge from one. What else should/can I do? In 35'ish years I've never had a sick chicken before. [​IMG]

2. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    By this evening the two in the house are the same, not acting sick except the sneezing and runny nose. However it seems to be spreading thru the group. At least 4 more are sneezing and have a clear runny nose. One of them has a nasal hole that seems to be swollen almost shut. I took a q-tip and cleaned it off. I cleaned out their coop, adding plenty of fresh clean dry straw, and added the ACV and oxytetracycline to their water. Again not acting sick except for the sneezing. Just want to make sure I am not forgetting something else I can do. I think I read on another thread to use garlic but how much for these little guys?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by