Sneezing baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skyoaks413, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Skyoaks413

Skyoaks413 In the Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    My chicks just finished corid to treat coccidiosis about a week ago and now one of them is sneezing....any advice? I've been alternating probiotic/vitamin/electrolyte water and fresh water for about the last 6 days. Just started to relax thinking they were all healthy! [​IMG]

2. Skyoaks413

Feb 1, 2016
    Arroyo Grande, CA

She is a two week old buff orpington named Lou [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    An occasional sneeze is usually from dusty bedding or feed. Make sure their ventilation in their brooder or coop is maximized with over head air circulation. Keep their bedding dry and raked daily, and prevent spills that might get moldy. If sneezing is pretty often, there could be symptoms of a possible respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma. Look for nasal drainage, watery/foamy eye, noisy breathing, gasping, or facial swelling.

4. Wolfstorm82

Wolfstorm82 In the Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Florida
    My barred rock hen has been sneezing and has a rattle occasionally wjen she breaths. I noticed the other hens beginning to do it too. I was using hay in their coop. I just spent the majority of the nigjt raking ALL the hay out. I think it was getting mouldy. I am going to keep the coop bare with the exception of pine shavings in the nest boxes. Mouldy hay is a number one cause of respiratory issues in humid states it turns out. I am treating with amoxicillin.

5. Skyoaks413

Feb 1, 2016
    Arroyo Grande, CA

Thank you! I've been super meticulous about keeping their bedding clean and dry since the coccidiosis...and ventilation is good. She doesn't have any other symptoms so far, but still sneezing. If she develops other symptoms what do I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by