Sneezing birds -- What med would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilverPhoenix, Jan 4, 2011.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    So, it's been a wet and cold winter so far! Several of my birds are sneezing, which is a concern especially because I did lose one sneezing hen. However, she was a very small bird who seemed to have a weak immune system. I always suspected she might not live as long as I'd like. She seemed to improve right when I was going to go buy some meds for her, then I found her dead a morning or two later. [​IMG]

The rest of my birds seem to be doing great other than the occasional sneeze. They're keeping on weight, eating well, look good, their poop seems to be fine. However, I do want to do something about the sneezing just because now I'm worried.

I've been raising chickens for a long time and consider myself pretty knowledgeable so I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but this is the first time I've had more than one or two sneezing birds. What medication would you all suggest? I have ducks, guineas, and a chukar as well, they sneeze on occasion, too. I'd love something I can just put in their water. Would Tylan be a good pick? Or something else?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Thank you for the helpful links!

I'm still a bit baffled, though, as I haven't noticed any other symptoms aside from the sneezing. I'm a wildlife rehabber and pre-vet so I know what to look for, but...nothing else! [​IMG] I'm guessing a wide spectrum antibiotic would be good, but it's a matter of choosing one.

4. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Hey Silver,

I've spent a lot of time reading up on this subject.

This link has an article from threehorses on treating respiratory illnesses. I have used all of her suggestions with success. Sadly, I think my girls may be carriers of some sort of mycroplasma. We have a next door neighbor who doesn't take good care of his birds and I think it may have been carried over to mine. For the last few season changes, my girls sneeze when the weather gets yucky. I treat them with the supplemental suggestions listed here and have not medicated as of yet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=235844

I
    will medicate if it gets worse and based on what I've read, I've narrowed it down to Tylan 50 injectable or LS-50 in their water. Even if I did medicate, I would still do the supplemental suggestions listed in the link.

Also, I've heard of people having success fogging their coops (with the birds in it) with inactivated oxine.

Good luck!
    Andrea

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Give them tissue paper.

6. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That was cute! might want to check out this link, wwwshagbarkbantams.com/oxinehtm , sorry don't understand why you can't go straight to the link so will have to type it in but it's an excellent article.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  8. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:[​IMG]

Thank you for the helpful advice and links, everyone! I'm going to try out the oxine and some Tylan or LS-50 in their water. Everyone seems to be doing pretty all right, but I don't want to risk my wonderful birds either so I'd rather be on the safer side.

9. Brendarh

Brendarh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Clarksville, Maryland
    i had a sneezing chicken and i put duramycin in her water for two weeks. it's 1/4 tsp per 4 cups. she stopped sneezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by