1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneezing, bloody stool, 2 wk old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sammae, Jul 7, 2016.

1. sammae

sammae New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    [Hello,

Thank you everyone for your help with my fox-attacked chicken. She is now back to 100% health!

I picked up some chicks 5 days ago of varying ages (2 wk old buff Cochin, a pair of 5 wk old legbars, and a 3 month old speckled Sussex) to build my flock back up. I didn't quarantine (dumb, but I apparently like to learn the hard way). One of the legbars has had an on-again, off-again crusted shut eye since he came home, but seems normal. Yesterday, however, the happy, running-around, chirpy buff Cochin (named Pants) got lethargic, and within a few hours was sneezing and having trouble breathing.

She currently keeps both eyes shut, occasionally needs to breathe with her neck stretched out and beak wide open, and this morning I found bloody stool next to her (which was exactly where I'd put her last night at bed time). I have her quarantined from the rest of them now. I gave her some water with ACV by dropper on her beak. Her crop is empty but she won't eat.

I'm thinking this could be cocci? Does it also cause respiratory issues? I'm doing some reading in my chicken health book, but would appreciate some first-hand knowledge of how to care for her and the rest of my flock.

It seems it's been nothing but chicken problems for me this last month! Thanks again in advance!! I hope someday to have enough knowledge to share with others like me!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. sammae

sammae New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    I called the local large animal vet. The only advice was that I could drop off stool samples from the flock, and that she sounds like she's dying and likely nothing to do for her.

I'm obviously not going to let her go without trying. I'm giving her water with cider vinegar with a syringe and she's drinking it from the tip. After she drinks, she'll get kind of lively and open her eyes a bit before snuggling back down. She's making a TONNE of peeping noise when she's moving around or trying to get comfortable.

I apparently can't just get cocci meds from the feed store here in Canada. I can get them from the vet, but they need to run a stool sample first (tomorrow) and then order the meds (2 days) which will be too late for this girl.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

4. sammae

sammae New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    I can't get any cocci or sulfa meds at the feed store here. She hasn't had a bloody stool since then. We had one that was undigested grass and then 2 normal ones. Weird?

She seems to have perked up a bit for short periods over the course of the day after I give her some water.

I'll get stool samples tonight and take them into the vet in the morning. Can a bloody stool like that just be a one-off?

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would take take the sample in and try to get the Corid if at all possible. You will need a vet for meds for the respiratory as well.

In the mean time try to push fluids to keep them all from getting dehydrated. Feed them some wet chick starter and give grit free choice since they have access to grass.

I hope you are able to get some help from your vet.

6. sammae

sammae New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    I heard back from the vet. We have thread worm, some cocci but not an alarming amount. She said she thinks the resp issue is infections coryza, but also said she has limited experience with resp issues in chickens. Reviewing the symptoms, I don't think it's coryza. The discharge from nose and eyes is watery, not smelly. She's sneezed out some mucous with bits of blood in it. She's not doing well today.

One of my 1 year old hens was congested this morning and I realized she hadn't laid since Sunday and is usually 6/7 days per week.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Did the vet give you any medications at all?

The sneezing out mucous with blood is worrisome. Not saying this is what it is, but it could be Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT), antibiotics could possibly help with any secondary infections, but it will not cure it, if this is what it is. ILT is contagious (more info in the links below)

Threadworm would need to be treated I would think, they can rob the chicken of nutrients.You can treat those with Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/83/infectious-laryngotracheitis-ilt/

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html

8. sammae

sammae New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    I have no medication from the vet yet. She will be giving me a dewormer though, and I'm going to request and antibiotic, in case I have Chronic Respirator Disease. The other resp disease the symptoms fit is Infectious Bronchitis. I really hope it's not ILT. Really.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad she will be able to get the meds for you.

I really hope it is IB and not ILT as well, the bloody mucous was what brought the ILT to mind.

Please keep us updated.

10. sammae

sammae New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Little Pants died this evening. Poor thing. Her hatch-mate, who my friend has, is about 12 hours behind Pants suffering from the exact same thing. We have at least 3 chickens with the sniffles in the coop right now (checked everyone once it got dark out so I could poke without them running away). I replaced their water with an antibiotic + electrolyte type solution and I'll give lots of good treats tomorrow to watch and make sure everyone is still eating.

I'm hoping this is IB since it shouldn't be more than a cold in these girls. My fingers are crossed. Thanks for all the help so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by