Sneezing chick

DrBlood

Chirping
Apr 28, 2021
Hi all, I'm new here and my chicks are about 4 weeks today. One of my little ones my Maran (which I think may be a roo not sure) sneezes every so often. He eating, drinking, active, happy just notice a small little sneeze every so often. Should I be worry ? There is no ocular or nasal discharge, just a cute little sneeze.

Attachments

• 20210430_171133.jpg
    20210430_171133.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210430_171136.jpg
    20210430_171136.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 4
Is your brooder dusty? Do you have crumbly feed that's powdery? Sometimes chicks sneeze if there's and irritant, just like people. Try moistening the feed a bit and see if that help (less powder crumbs), and if that doesn't, then change the brooder material.

Is your brooder dusty? Do you have crumbly feed that's powdery? Sometimes chicks sneeze if there's and irritant, just like people. Try moistening the feed a bit and see if that help (less powder crumbs), and if that doesn't, then change the
Actually the feed is powdery, I can moisten it. If not what material would you recommend for the brooder. I've been using the shavings they gave me at the feed place I got them, but I always thought it smelled a little strong, cedery I think.

Ah, there's the issue. Cedar is toxic to chickens. If it is cedar shavings, then it's probably irritating his lungs and causing other issues to his liver. You should get rid of it pretty quickly. Try hay instead, or large pine shaving are okay too. If you can't get that, even good old bounty towels work in a pinch.

Hubby informed me tonight that it's pine, whoops I know nothing about wood.. so I was wrong but if hay is OK I do have tons of orchid hay for my tortoise. I can switch to that if it's OK. Otherwise of to my new favorite store the feed place ... I was watching her/him it does seem like he sneezes right after pecking.. hubby says she takes after me cause I sneeze alot 🤧😆 thank you for all your help 🙂

Sneezing by itself is t a cause for alarm. It isn’t always caused by a disease either, but rather something environmental or something in with the coop. Since chickens scratch at the ground all day and their faces are practically in the ground most of the time, sometimes dust or dirt can cause sneezing. Dusty feed and water drinking can also cause sneezing. Poor ventilation, dusty bedding material or ammonia buildup can also cause sneezing. Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Back
Top Bottom