1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

sneezing chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nittanyxi, May 13, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I posted this earlier but I don't think I put it in the right section.

I found one of my 4 day old chicks dead this morning. I got them through the mail on Tue from My Pet Chicken.
    It was a buff polish chick. I have no idea what she died from. when I went to bed last night they all looked fine. I guess it could have been stress from traveling catching up to her.

Also I have heard a chick sneezing. not very often and I can't figure out which one is doing it. they all look the same health wise. Is this something i should worry about?

2. They MIGHT be sneezing from dust in the wood shavings, but it might also be a respiratory infection. That wouldn't be too uncommon with chicks that have been through the stress of shipping.

Try supplementing their water with vitamins/electrolytes. It will help support their immune systems and reduce stress.

3. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    where do I get vitamins/electrolytes for chickens?

4. I ordered mine online - but you might be able to find them in your feed store. Some people also supplement with liquid vitamins - Poly-Vi-Sol, I think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by