Sneezing Chicken / Capillaria

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by netty74, Nov 8, 2013.

1. netty74

netty74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    My BSL Hen Witchy has been sneezing for aprox. 1 week . I Started noting some drainage on Tuesday , I took her to the vet and They are having me give her Enrofloxcian in her drinking water . ( I work for the vet I took her to ) Im giving her 10ml in a1 liter of drinking water . The drainage im seeing is clear in color . Has anyone ever had any experience with this ?? Also while she was at the vet I noticed some bloody stool , so i did a fecal flotation and found one Capillaria egg . She seems to be doing fine other than the sneezing of coarse . I will give her some dewormer meds after she is done with the antibiotics she is on . My question is what is the egg withdrawl time ?? Also I have been sprinkling food grade DE in the chicken feed . Will That help with parasites ?? I have Witcy in a small chicken tractor isolated from the other chickens . My vets don't know much about chickens but they are always up for a challenge . :) The 2 Cukoo Marans that were in with Witcy have not showed any signs of sneezing yet , however I think deworming them would be a good idea. Any input would be great , I am a new chicken owner and I'm still learning . Thanks [​IMG] !!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Capillary worms are probably the most damaging type of worm to chickens and can cause bloody feces, they can also infest the crop. DE will not prevent nor kill worms.
    Since you're at the vet, perhaps you can get some liquid panacur (fenbendazole 10%) or purchase safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) at a feed store. Treat ALL your chickens with the wormer. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted once a day for 5 days. There is a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing. Bye bye capillary worms. The fenbendazole will kill most worms that chickens can get, except tapeworms.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  3. netty74

netty74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    Awesome , that is good to know !!! Thanks !! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by