Sneezing chicken no other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by imneva, Jan 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. imneva

imneva Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    north central Wv
    one of my girls started sneezing this eve. No other symptoms. Not sure what to do. Help? All these posts have confused me. In a nut shell what do I do?

2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Just as with a small baby that sneezes, it doesn't mean anything unless there are other symptoms and indicators, such as fluid running from the nares (the chicken, not the baby), and bubbling eye discharge, and possible swelling of facial tissue.

Look also for signs of an eye infection which may cause a faint pink film over the eye. Keep an eye on the poop and general behavior. A sick chicken will lose the brightness in the eyes, become less vocal and alert, and appetite may drop off. Look for the tail to be held low and flat and the chicken to isolate themselves from the flock.

If you noticed sneezing, be confident you will also notice other symptoms. Meanwhile, try not to worry about the sneezing. Chickens, like us, sneeze to clear irritating particles from their nasal passages.

staceyj and imneva like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many times chickens will sneeze while eating due to dust in the feed or they may sneeze from dusty bedding or mold in bedding from wet areas or spills. It is difficult to not have dust with chickens actually. If the sneezing in one chicken is often or every few minutes, that can be a sign of a virus called infectious bronchitis. There are other viruses and bacterial respiratory diseases with additional symptoms. A sick chicken may appear lethargic or not eat or drink well. If there is just occasional sneezing, it may not be anything serious.

azygous and imneva like this.
  4. imneva

imneva Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    north central Wv
    Thank you!

5. imneva

imneva Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    north central Wv
    **update** no sneezing this morning when I when out to let them out. Yay!

azygous likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Good to hear.

imneva likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: