Sneezing chicken, stress related? Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother o' chicks72, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I bought a chicken two days ago and she has been sneezing alot. She seems pretty much okay other than that but I've heard that respiratory things are pretty bad for chickens. Is there something I can give her for that? I have her quarantined. Could it be stress related? The other girls have been picking on her and I think she was pretty close to one of her littermates who we took her away from and my four year old brother has been endlessly holding her.
    I also called the woman who sold her to us since she has a 3 month health guarantee and she said we could return her or switch her for a new one but the problem is we are already in love with this little bird. Is it within our rights to ask if she could perhaps pay for antibiotics for the chicken? any help appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Please help me! the people in emergencies dont seem to think it's an emergency so I'm trying here.

3. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Know first I am no expert by any means, as I am new to chickens past 7 days old.

I would put her on Duramyicin for 7-10 days. It is an antibiotic. You should mix 1 tsp/gal of water. Keep her seperated as you are doing.

Is she eating okay? Drinking okay? Acting okay? How old? Breed? Keep holding her and doing what you are doing untill a more experienced person comes on.

Hang in there, and know chickens are resilent creatures. I would not ask for her to pay for the antibiotics though, maybe another person may have a different opinion.

Good luck, and have fun with her.

As a side note, my chickens sneezed as young chicks from the shavings dust, and the corn off the cob squirts. They are all fine now:)

The others might be picking on her because she is new to the already established flock. Do a slow introduction. Keep her protected but with them, and let them see each other, but not with each other.

4. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    she is 5 and a half months old, she's a bantam polish, she eats good and drinks fine. All my local feed stores are closed so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to give her antibiotics. should I treat the rest of the flock since they have been hanging around her?

5. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Yes I would, but again, I am NO expert. Keep the Duramyicin going for 7 to 10 days. Wont hurt the ones that may not need it, but will help the one(s) if it does.

Wish you luck with your new hen. I personally love pics. so if you want to share...love looking at the members flocks.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You do not need to treat them with antibiotics unless they are really needed. Chickens, just like humans can become immune to antibiotics and then if you really need them, they will be of no use.

You can give the sneezing girl Tylan50 by mouth for 3-5 days. Or separate her and give her Duramycin for 7-14 days. Do you see any bubbles in the corner of the eye? Any discharge from the nose? Any other symptoms other than sneezing?

Do you feed pellets or crumbles. Crumbles can sometimes be dusty and if it gets in their nose, they will sneeze.

7. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I have a chicken that just sneezes all the time, for no apparent reason. No other symptoms at all. This has been going on for 6 months or more. When I first noticed the sneezing, I treated her with Duramycin, but it didn't help. I have decided that maybe she just has allergies! No other chickens have gotten sick, she eats/drinks/lays fine, so I don't worry about it. Good luck!

8. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    ok so they are all now on duramycin-10. hopefully this will help. I feed pellets but i do not know what the woman before me fed her.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    mother o' chicks72 :

ok so they are all now on duramycin-10. hopefully this will help. I feed pellets but i do not know what the woman before me fed her.

Are they all sneezing? Any congestion?​

10. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:With the Tylan can a chick stay in the coop? I just separated mine because I did not want her to get any of the other girls sick... no other girls are showing symptoms, she just has the sneeyz runny nose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by