1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sneezing chicken??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shutterbabe, Nov 13, 2010.

1. shutterbabe

shutterbabe Hatching

Nov 12, 2010
    This is my first time raising chickens (pullets) and I have a sneezer. I believe it's just the one (I have 7). She doesn't have any "stuff" around her eyes or nostrils and in all other respects she looks fine, she just has sneezed a few times. Is this something to be concerned about? Since this is my first time, I have no idea!

TYIA for any replies!! [​IMG]

2. shutterbabe

shutterbabe Hatching

Nov 12, 2010
    Oh FYI - I live in NH and we've had nights below freezing for about 10 days now. 2 heat lamps in the chicken tractor. I use straw for bedding. They have plenty of room in the tractor and the run. Not sure if any of that makes a difference in terms of if it may be something to be concerned about.

3. MrRushed

MrRushed Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    I have had a sneezer since the day I brought her home, she eats well, lots of energy, and lays an egg almost everyday.
    I was a little concered at first but she seems fine and none of my others (18 chickens) have come down with anything.
    I think she's just a little bit more sensitive with stuff floating around in the air.
    Hope your bird is fine.

4. ladrholman

ladrholman Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I have a sneezer too... she gets a slightly runny nose, but it does not seem to slow her any. I suspect like most animals some are more sensitive to allergens in their environment. Too bad there is not any antihistamine for them.... Chicken Claritin or Reactine!!!

5. shutterbabe

shutterbabe Hatching

Nov 12, 2010
    OK thank you both!! :eek:)

If it was one of my kids who was sneezing I wouldn't have been so worried, but I'm not a chicken mom so I don't have any chicken intuition LOL! ;-P Oh well, gotta learn.

Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by