Sneezing Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MMGerlinger, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MMGerlinger

MMGerlinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    Hello all! I'm new to here, and new to owning chickens. I have been reading through this forum quite often, so I finally joined.

One of my hens (2-3 years old probably) has been sneezing, off and on, for the past few weeks. I had done a few days of injection, then about a week of antibiotic in their water (since I Had noticed a few other sneezing and decided to treat them all). She stopped sneezing for almost a week after meds were done, and then just started up sneezing again yesterday. She seems to be eating well. She started molting about a week ago and is losing feathers on here neck/a bit on her front, and on her rear end. Feathers are growing back. Any idea what the sneezing could be? I started them on a probiotic mix for part of their water, and added some garlic to another larger container of water. So far, she's the only one that's continued/started up sneezing again. The rest seem to be ok... Though, 2 of my 2 month old hens (I think) have a hoarse chirp going on.... but it hasn't gotten worse, and they are still acting normally.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Melissa
    Reno, NV

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Infectious bronchitis and mycoplasma G. can cause this. IB can really affect younger chicks seriously, but with older hens it is not quite as serious and will usually last about a month. There is a decrease in laying. Here is some info to read: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    It's been about a month.... She seems to sneeze more when she's eating her food out of the small trough we built, or outside when scratching up stuff. She's either 2-3 years old probably, and is molting as well, so I've been incorporating more protein into her and the others' diet. Also, I have put out some cloves of garlic and they seem to enjoy that too. She's not as bad as she was, not sneezing as often, so I was hesitant to put her back on medicine. None of them have laid any eggs in about a month... We have a total of 6 layers now, and 8 more that should start laying any day now, as they are around 7 months old.

Any recommendations on what to give them, besides garlic and protein, to encourage egg laying? It's been pretty cold at night lately, and we've had colder days as winter is coming.

Thanks!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most new hens will lay pretty well the first year no matter what, but if you provide a little extra light early in the morning--say 5-8 am, so that there is about 12 hours of light a day, your hens will continue to lay all winter. Some people don't like to do this, but like to give the hens a break in winter. It is a personal choice, and if you don't have electric in the coop, most don't worry about. Did you ever notice any of the others sneezing, or just the one chicken? If it was infectious bronchitis, it would have affected more than one. IB can cause a decrease in laying while they have it.

5. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Have you checked for worms also? They can weaken their immune system.

6. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    How would I Check for worms? I haven't seen any worms in their poop......

7. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    As far as sneezing goes, one of my roosters sneezed too..... but no others have sneezed that I've seen, and the one rooster only did it for a couple days, then stopped.

I have increased their protein quite a bit, to try to help with the one that's been molting (& sneezing the most). I didn't hear her sneeze yesterday, or today so far though.....

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The best way since many worms can't be seen is to get a collective fresh sample from your coop and let your vet test it for worms. Many people worm their flocks twice a year with a wormer that gets more than round worm such as Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer. It's best to use Safeguard when they aren't molting.

9. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    Hmm.... Might look into worming them. Are you able to eat the eggs when you deworm them, or do you have to avoid it? I'm guessing I'd have to use the meds in all the chickens to be safe?

I generally try to go the natural route when it comes to treating them, so I've added garlic in their water for multiple reasons.........

10. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by