Sneezing Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by netty74, Nov 5, 2013.

1. netty74

netty74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    My Black Sex Link hen , Witchy is sneezing, I noticed it a few days ago . Tonight when I went out to collect the eggs and scrape off their roost , the sneezing seemed to be more frequent . Also I noticed she was holding open her beak . I would like to think I made her nervous by going out at night and that is why her beak was open and she was breathing the way that she was . All of the other hens seem to be doing fine . She is eating and drinking fine otherwise . Any Ideas ?? I'm thinking of taking her to work with me and getting one of the Dr's to look at her ( I work for a small animal vet ) and maybe give her some meds , I'm not sure if any of the Dr's i work for have any experiece with chickens , but hey they are always up for a challenge . Does that make me a crazy chicken lady ??? If so i cannot think of anything else better to be !!! Thanks :)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. netty74

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    Thanks for the info !! This particular coop that she is in ( I have 4 ) is not dusty . It has a sand floor and the nest boxes are cleaned every other day . I try to do keep them as clean as i can and keep the dust down .

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Maybe she got a snootful of dust from feed, then, or some similar problem. I sure hope it's not serious! Usually the respiratory illnesses also have other symptoms ---- runny nose, cough, etc. Good luck!

5. netty74

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    I noticed tonight that her nose had some clear discharge . I will def take her to work with me tomorrow and get her checked out . Hopefully whatever she has I can catch it in time . Thank you for your thoughts . :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by