Sneezing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by korn19bread, Nov 3, 2015.

1. korn19bread

korn19bread Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    Sat morning had one sick and pass with no signs of sickness-maybe got too cold? But now I'm nervous because now I have one sneezing/coughing and seems to gurgle when it breathes, keeps opening her mouth like she has hard time breathing. and when I seen a little snot bubble come out I checked and she has a little bit of brown crust on her nostril. Is she sick or just not like the dust in the straw bed? It is a Cornish cross about 6 weeks old I would say if that means anything. Thanks in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This sounds like a respiratory disease in the second chicken, possibly MG or coryza, but infectious bronchitis can also be considered. Cornish cross meat birds can die of heart failure at an early age since they are meant to be processed after 6 weeks. Drugs such as Tylan and oxytetracycline can be used to treat symptoms of respiratory disease. Here is a good link to read about diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. korn19bread

Aug 23, 2015
    Thanks, that's very informative! I have her in the garage in her own bin with some cider water. Hopefully that will help. I guess if not I'll harvest her early and make a couple nuggets..

4. korn19bread

Aug 23, 2015
    Has anyone heard to mix peroxide in their water?

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not personally - i know that some BYCers add a little bleach (i.e. chlorine) to water, as it inhibits the build up of bacteria. All mains water contains a small amount of chlorine, so i don't bother - i just change their water regularly.

6. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I put some limestone and iodine in their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by