Sneezing Chickens

riversedgefarms

Chirping
Dec 18, 2016
we have noticed lately that some of our leghorns are sneezing. There has been no other symptoms of runny noses or anything, just sneezing. Our weather temperature went from -30s to around -15 to -20 so the coop temperature has been fluctuating from 0 to +10. We have never had this behaviour before so should we be worried? I’ve noticed the sneezing mostly after we put feed out for them so I am not sure if it’d be the dusk from the feed.

I’ve noticed the sneezing mostly after we put feed out for them so I am not sure if it’d be the dusk from the feed.

Are they staying mainly in the coop?
How much ventilation do you have?
How do you feed - do you feed free choice or give them a certain amount everyday?

If you are noticing the sneezing when you put the feed out, most likely feed dust is the cause. Sometimes chickens can be overzealous when feed it put out and inhale small particle of feed or even get a little stuck in their nostrils.

Try filling the feeder outside to let the dust settle to see if that makes a difference.

Yes in the winter they do due to the cold weather we get. IN the summer they free range.
We fill a bucket full everyday and give that to them. Off the top of my head im not 100% sure how big it is but we keep their food container full at all times.

I will definitely try filling it outside to see if it makes a difference to them. It is just strange to me that it’s only our leghorns and not any of our other breeds.

Are they staying mainly in the coop?
How much ventilation do you have?
How do you feed - do you feed free choice or give them a certain amount everyday?

If you are noticing the sneezing when you put the feed out, most likely feed dust is the cause. Sometimes chickens can be overzealous when feed it put out and inhale small particle of feed or even get a little stuck in their nostrils.

Try filling the feeder outside to let the dust settle to see if that makes a difference.

Do a search on "Fermented Feeds ... anyone using them?" long one but very informative....
Basically soaking the feed in water for a few days, it ferments (smells like sour dough & gets bubbly). NEVER use metal utensils nor containers nor feeders. The ratio of feed to water is about 50/50, you prefer a oatmeal consistancy, not too wet. It will SWELL so depending on how much you're making figure it will triple in size. A lot of nutritional benefits, no feed waste and the best is less stinky poop (firmer & less of it), they tend to drink less water cause they getting from the food & it's "broken" down.

PLEASE search the forum for the thread, very interesting reading...
FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Back
Top Bottom