Sneezing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Redneckracing14, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Redneckracing14

Redneckracing14 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    Got small flock of 8 hens roos mixed ages from diffeent people was not smart i no that now in a seperate barn i have 50 chicks in wire cages off the floor chicks are healthy. The older flock of 7 now almost all of them are sneezing have a rattle in chest i dont let the 2 groups come in contact with echother my question is will this go away on its own or should i just cull them all or let it ride till there older n butcher them there all eating drinkin fine even the 2 hens that just start laying are still laying but sneezing and rattling?

2. horsinaround317

horsinaround317 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    Sounds like you have a little upper respiratory thing moving through! I wouldn't cull just yet we have managed to get several birds through but it does take a little TLC. If you have access to antibiotics that is huge in stopping it in its tracks, if not the birds will either pull through or they won't. But lots of water (i spike with pedialyte, you can buy ones meant just for chickens) and access to food is huge. Just make sure they don't come in contact with the babies! Good Luck!

3. Sharwig

Sharwig Songster

Mar 3, 2017
    I did the same thing when I started keeping chicks. My flock picked up what I believe was infectious bronchitis (IB) and they all came through without treatment. They were sneezing, had watery eyes, fevers, lethargic, etc.
    It's important to note that with many viral infections, your birds can become carriers and its recommended that you 'close' your flock. I don't raise chicks to sell, but I have had to rehome a couple roosters and I made sure to give a full disclosure to the new owners.

IB can also effect their reproductive system and they may not lay well. I had a young Barred Rock that had just started laying when she contracted it and she's never been a good layer since.

So it depends on what your goals are. If you're just keeping them for your own benefit, then I wouldn't cull. If you're hoping to raise and sell chicks you may want to consider culling.

Hope this info is helpful. Good luck!

4. Redneckracing14

Redneckracing14 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    My intentions were to keep the hens for eggs butcher the roosters but i had planned to place the 15 pullets i have in cages in with them when there ready to lay but if there.going to spread the sickness i will cull them or will they get over it

5. Sharwig

Sharwig Songster

Mar 3, 2017
    If I recall, it ran its course within a couple weeks and all my girls recovered. We've since added two batches of new chicks and we haven't had any issues, but I wouldn't add the pullets until you're sure its ran its course. Do you have room to keep them separate for a couple more weeks?

6. Redneckracing14

Redneckracing14 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    O yea they are separate and will be separate until October if i still have

Sharwig likes this.
  7. Redneckracing14

Redneckracing14 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    I culled the hens that were were still showing sighns my question is the young pullets i have in another barn when there ready to lay and i move them to this place were the sick chickens were will they all get the sickness and not lay well or will they be fine?

8. Redneckracing14

Redneckracing14 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    And should i just cull the remainder 3 or see if they pull through there still laying fine

9. Animal Health

Animal Health Chirping

Jan 30, 2014
    I am not sure how it is where you live but here in MD the state will come out and test any bird with respiratory symptoms for diseases of concern. All major diseases in poultry can have the same symptoms. Unfortunately the only way to know which disease you are dealing with is to test. The only way to know what is best solution is to know what they have.

10. Redneckracing14

Redneckracing14 Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    ?anyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: