Sneezing Chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amos58, Feb 19, 2008.

1. amos58

amos58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Hello,
    I have 9 chickens and about4 of them are still sneezing, it has been a month or 2. I have trried terramycin(I think that is the spelling) and also AVC, it has not gotten rid of the sneezing. They have not gotten any worse but I would like to clear it up. Any suggestions on what I should purchase. Also what is your opinion on vetrx?
    Thank you
    Diane

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sneezing may be some irritatnt and not even any bacterial infection. I would not give antibiotics unless for sure they have a bacterial infection, or a chance of one (like a cut or bite), as by doing so, you make it harder to kill infections later on when you really need it.

With sneezing, is it all the time, or after eating? How often does it occur? It is possible that the bedding may be dusty, or that they are dusty and thus irritatnts in the air are causing them to sneeze. Sometimes they sneeze due to dust from feed too, or some beddings that contain strong smells they may be alergic to. Dry sneezing without other symptoms isn't really anything I worry about. Others may have differing opinons though.

Good luck.

3. amos58

Dec 9, 2007
    Hi,
    Thanks for the answer. I do know the wood shavings are dusty. They tend to sneeze everytime I check on them. I have looked at the poop, and some of it is brown, others green, and this morning a yellowihs,gold. I don't know if it matters, what time of the day they poop, which determines the color though. I do not see any nasal discharge, or blood in poop. If you think this sounds ok, then I will let it be.
    Thank you again for the advice.

4. dirtfishing1

dirtfishing1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Ridge Mtns VA
    What kind of wood shavings are you using?

5. amos58

Dec 9, 2007
    I believe they are pine shavings, could be wrong, I buy the big bags at Agway.
    I just ordered the following meds to have on hand, please let me know what you think
    Vetrx
    Aureomycin soluable
    Sulmet soluable

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by