Sneezing Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rammy, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    A couple days ago, one of my BR hens sounded like she was wheezing. Now she is sneezing and its getting worse. A couple of other chickens are also sneezing as well as the Rooster. I have some antibiotics that I got from the feed store but Im not sure how much to put in. It says so many mg's per gallon. How do you measure that to make sure your putting in enough. Is this possibly CRD or something else? Should I get a vet to come look at them? or try the antibiotic first? I have the coop covered with plastic like I always do in the winter. No heat lamp. Never had a problem here before with them getting too cold. We have had some unusually cold weather here even for Tn but it only lasted a couple days and that was in Dec. This started last week from what Ive noticed. Any information on what to do or what this could be would be great. Ive been reading some of the other posts on this subject but not sure if its CRD or something else, since it seems some of the other flock are starting to display symptoms.

Right now I have taken thier usual water source away and put the antibiotic in a gallon self waterer so thats the only source they have to make them drink it. I figure it wouldnt hurt if the hens not displaying symptoms drink it as even if they arent, it might help them not get worse with this cold or flu or whatever it is. Thanks.

Rammy

2. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008
    Can anyone help me with what may be making my chickens sneeze? I am using Duramycin-10 from the feed store. Is there anything else I can use?

Rammy

3. tperry61

tperry61 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Allegany,NY
    i had the same thing going on in my flock. I asked our vet (we own a dairy farm too so she was here one day anyways) and she said to use exactly what you are using and so I did. I had to go on to their website to look at the conversion and it ended up being about 2-3 TBS for a 5 gal waterer. I used it for 2 weeks (the max for chickens according to the packaging) and it cleared up. A couple still have it a little but it is going away. Hope that helps a little [​IMG]

4. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008
    Thanks. Im just sprinkling in a little into a 1 gallon self waterer and kind of estimating the amount by the color. I figure medium yellow should be enough, so it probably is equating to 2 to 3 tablespoons to a gallon. The one chicken that started sneezing sounds a little gurgley but I observed them yesterday and saw no discharge or runny eyes from what I could tell. Thanks for the reply. I will just keep an eye on them and see if it clears up before I call a vet.

Rammy

5. tperry61

tperry61 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Allegany,NY
    that's what i did. Just sprinkled it in to about what i knew 2-3 tbs was from baking and the color. Then just sat back and monitored them. Mine sounded gargly(sp?) too but after a few days they started to sound a little better. It cleared up after i gave it to them for the full time frame. :)

6. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008
    I figured giving it to them for about a week? So far this is day three. Still sneezing. Havent heard the gurgling sound but havent been in the coop much since its been raining. Did hear the Rooster sneeze a little but I was in and out quick today as I had to go to town for an appointment. I will check on them when I get back to collect the eggs. Hope this clears up. I hate thinking I may have to cull them all and disinfect the entire coop and then wait three months before I can put new chickens in.

Rammy

7. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Now tht it's been a few months, how are your chickens doing now? Were you able to effect a cure?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by