Sneezing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CochinLover101, Feb 6, 2011.

1. CochinLover101

CochinLover101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hello,
    I got a pair of D'Uccles and the next day I noticed that the rooster was sneezing. What is it and how can I treat it? I know that in rabbits it would be called 'Snuffles'.

CochinLover101

2. Aubrinator

Aubrinator Out Of The Brooder

My Ameracaunas sneeze all the time, but especially around pollen. I think it's just mild allergies or something. They don't seem to be in pain or anything else along those lines, do they?

3. CochinLover101

Jan 31, 2011
    Wisconsin
    They don't seem to be in pain but they have both nasal and eye discharge. I'm worried they have something that could be spread to the flock even though they are seperate.

4. breezes_banties_n_bratts

breezes_banties_n_bratts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    north west ohio
    It may be infectious coryza or mg aka chronic respiratory disease. Very contagious. Google it or look on here. I had to cull my flock and start over. Nastey stuff

5. CochinLover101

Jan 31, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I looked it up and just want to cry right now. I just am starting out in poultry and if this is for sure what my rooster has I'm going to die. Is there any way to for sure tell if this is the disease he has? [​IMG]

6. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the person before me. I had a simular problem. The runny nose did not stop. Shortly the eye was infected and the bird became blind in one eye. Even if I tried to make them well, they got light in weight and just died. I found it to be hopeless.

7. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you tell for sure...Yes...a lab from a vet will tell you for sure. Your vet will alsov advise you if the bird can be saved.

8. breezes_banties_n_bratts

Feb 1, 2011
    north west ohio
    Yes they can survive it, but once they have it, they will always have it. They will be carriers and even though they show no symptoms they can infect your entire flock. It's spread through feathers dander, sharing feeders and sneezing/ coughing. You can give them antibiotics to clear it up. But remember they still have it and stress will trigger another outbreak. Sorry bout your chickens. I had to cull 50 birds, heartbreaking

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
  10. breezes_banties_n_bratts

Feb 1, 2011
    north west ohio
    Thank you for that wonderful site. Now can anyone order that or just a veterinarian?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by