1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    My entire flock is sneezing. Thats 1 rir roo, 1 silkie roo, 3 silkie hens, and 2 4 week old chicks. Why are they sneezing? Are they ok? The only things that could be symptoms are... scratching, and my RIR roo Funkey will some times do a dry heave thing, but this is rare.
    Any Ideas?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'd love to find out what the significance of sneezing in chickens would be. Unlike your entire flock displaying this symptom, only a few of mine occasionally sneeze. I suppress the worry that it could be sickness and attribute it to them clearing dust from their nasal passages like we do. At least that's what I'm hoping. I hope yours are sneezing for this benign reason, too.

3. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    thats what I have been writing it off as. [​IMG]

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I don't know what your chickens do or do not have.
    That being said....There are many chicken illnesses that include sneezing. But also if they are exposed to excessive amounts of dust, or drink to rapidly, and I'm sure there are other examples that could cause sneezing. Coughing could occur with drinking or eating rapidly. Does the sneezing and coughing happen through out the day or after any specific activity? How has the weather been? How long have they been exhibiting these symptoms? Are there any other symptoms? Could be just a thing, a cold, or something serious.

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I would give them a dose of tylan 50 give 1/4 cc to bantams and 1/2 cc to full size this is a antibiotic used to treat resperatory problem and I give it to my bantams and it cures it

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I would give them a dose of tylan 50 give 1/4 cc to bantams and 1/2 cc to full size this is a antibiotic used to treat resperatory problem and I give it to my bantams and it cures it

7. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks, Its been going on for a few weeks now. The weather has been cold. And I guess theres been dust. I would like to avoid cost if possible [​IMG]

8. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    VetRx works great for lots of things. Just what it says on the front of the box "Effective relief ans prevention of Colds, Roup, Scaly Legs, 'Eye Worm'. " It dose work for other things also. If you happen to have a "deadly illness" the vet is probably the best. In other words....I am not saying that I know what your chickens have there for I can't say this is the "proper" treatment. I use VetRx (and think it is great) for common (simple if you will) respiratory problems and other uses. A few drops goes a long way. I pay $7.95 (sometimes higher) around here for 2oz bottle, and it last a long time.

9. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    How do I give these to them? When? Is it ok to medicate if I don't know what it is, If they are not sick can it harm them? Is it ok for chicks? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by