sneezing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ebers, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Ebers

Ebers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I have a rooster & 2 hens that are sneezing or something like like a sneeze. What can I give them to help em get over it

2. Feather Fowl

Feather Fowl New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    If it is an occasional sneeze, I wouldn't worry about it. Any other symptoms? Check poo, sleepiness, is it laying? When was it last wormed as it may be Gape worm but it is very unlikely. Especially check the poo. Irregularity is often the first common symptom. This is just to check if your chook is getting seriously ill. If there is dust air born that could affect it. As for fixing it, all I can say is provide clean, fresh water. This could possibly be nothing, but it is important for you to check.

3. Feather Fowl

Feather Fowl New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Other diseases I have found include Infectious Laryngotracheitis, Mycoplasma and Infectious coryza. I have a fantastic Magazine which has everything to know about how to care for chickens and that is where I found these possibilities. Guessing that it has spread, I would be looking at the infectious ones. Other symptoms to check for include to check the crop, check the keel (breast bone) for sharpness. Do they have poo on their bottom? Is the comb a normal colour or is it pale? Do they have mites or any other external parasites? Is there blood or worms in the poop? Have you wormed them? Can they stand or move easily?

4. Ebers

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    They're getting around fine & eating normally there's just the occasional sneeze I was just trying to get on top of the issue before it progressed into something more thank you for your feedback

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's not gapeworm, nor any other disease(s) without other respiratory symptoms. It could possibly be something in the environment causing the sneezing;
    feed dust, pollen, dust from dust baths, ammonia fumes from soiled litter, pesticide use etc...

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    It is not unusual for birds to get minor upper respiratory issues in the spring and fall when the weather is changing. As long as they are eating, drinking, normally active, and do not have cloudy nasal discharge, they will likely be fine.

7. Ebers

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Ok I'll just keep an eye on em & make sure their symptoms don't get worse. I'm very thankful I found the byc website everyone is so willing to help each other & share their knowledge it's the best tool I have as a poultry owner I'd surely be a nervous wreck without the helpful guidance of the byc website

1 person likes this.
  8. Ebers

Jun 29, 2013
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Ok I'll just keep an eye on em & make sure their symptoms don't get worse. I'm very thankful I found the byc website everyone is so willing to help each other & share their knowledge it's the best tool I have as a poultry owner I'd surely be a nervous wreck without the helpful guidance of the byc website

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Additional symptoms to look for with a respiratory disease would be nasal discharge, eye drainage, bubbles in the eye, swelling of the eyes or face, wheezing or gurgling. Here is a list of common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by